Cafe Robin
Mom Breastfeeds While Doing Naked Yoga - What do you think of this photo?
August 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Mom Breastfeeds While Doing Naked Yoga & No One Will Stop Talking About It

by Michele Zipp

naked yoga breastfeedingI believe it was about two years ago when my friend and doula shared this photo of Daughter of the Sun blogger Amy breastfeeding her baby Naia on her Facebook page. You can guess what happened next, right? It was reported and removed. Still, many dared to share and the image of Amy -- naked and doing a yoga headstand while her little one came in for a sip -- went viral. As it should have. The image is making the rounds again and I'm happy to see it and knowing people are seeing it for the first time. I saw this image as simply beautiful. I didn't care why or how this picture came to be -- I just loved that it existed, and that people are still talking about it. It captured exactly what breastfeeding is about and held a message I felt was so in your face yet many failed to realize it. 

Let's review the whole image first.

That message is that breastfeeding is natural. Pure. It can and should happen anytime, anywhere. During 2 a.m. feedings. On the couch. While lying on your side. In a restaurant. In a park. At the mall. In a store. While walking. During a conversation with a friend about a serious topic. On an airplane while flying to the beach where you will breastfeed in the sand. While reviewing expiration dates on yogurt and at the grocery store when baby is in a sling. While practicing naked yoga outside and doing a headstand. Whenever and wherever baby is hungry, baby should eat. And that's exactly what baby Naia was doing when this photo was taken.

On this naked yoga breastfeeding moment, Amy shared in an email as reported on Huffington Post:

The truth is we were living on a small community in Hawaii where our land was clothing optional and yoga was/is a necessity! I was just doin’ my daily flow when the little sweet pea came to sneak a suckle.

It wasn't staged, and Amy isn't hanging by the tree as some suggested. Naia was hungry. She was near her mama who was doing yoga, and she wanted to eat. It's simply beautiful. By the way, Naia is now 3 and also practices yoga.

What do you think of this image?

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    August 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think it is beautiful.  I was concerned also about the twine around her ankles and if the shot had been staged and  she was being supported and steadied by the tree, but the article says not. It is interesing that someone was there to take the picture, assuming that the picture was not staged. But regardless,  taking it as a natural and unplanned event, it is poetic.

• angevil53
    August 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Um ok. I prefer a couch and pillow myself.
  • Sister_Someone
    August 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I think it's a beautiful image, but it doesn't change shit about my personal stance on breastfeeding, which is that I could not be paid enough to ever try it again in my life.

• T-HoneyLuv
    August 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    I am sure that this pic will be very much appreciated by her daughter when she is a young adult. Why the need to show the world? Is anything not private anymore?
  • GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    August 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    As far as the picture being taken, given that virtually everyone has their camera/phone with them 24/7 it doesn't seem unreasonable that someone took the picture. As to breastfeeding anywhere, anytime I am generally in agreement although if I were in this position I wouldn't want the baby so close since it seems a bit risky in case I wasn't able to maintain the pose.

Having said all that it is a striking image and it is easy to see why it went viral.
  • RADmomma
    August 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    First kudos to her for maintaining the position... But I'm concerned about that little naked bum in the tall grass... And mom falling over onto baby.

But if the article is true then good for her.
  • msalice_21
    August 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    Id give anything to have her body. But other than that, I dont see the point of this.
  • LaughCryLive
    August 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

She is probably very skilled at yoga and really doesn't pose a risk to falling on the baby.

I was a small child in the tropics and clothing was optional for kids.  I have lots of pics of being outside naked. NBD

• squeekers
    August 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

she lives in a nudist community. who am I to complain?

• supercarp
    August 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I think she could fall on the baby.