The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
wonderwomanT08
Its that time of year again: Why schools ban peanuts/peanut butter.....EDIT
August 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Banning a food may come as a shock to some parents. Msybe they have never heard of a peanut allergy before . Or maybe they were not aware of the rising cases of this allergy. Well im here to clear some things up! I have been living with this allergy all my life . I almost lost my life at age two when my uncle gave me a bite of his Snickers Bar . Growing up I only knew of one other person having this allergy. I was a freak! lol Peanut allergies are one of the most deadly allergies. If ingested it can cause airways to close up in a matter of seconds. The person suffocates to death. You can have other reactions without comsuming peanuts which include but is not limited to hives and trouble breathing and or asthma attack. Peanut allergies are on the rise. They really started to rise about 10 yrs ago. When I started subbing I was shocked to find peanut free classrooms and peanut free tables ! Even with these measures I, as an adult, still came into contact with peanuts on a number of occasions! I could have come in contact with door handles, railings, faucets, pencil sharpeners and so on. I had one student accidentally spit in my eye....that was not fun! He obviously had pb because my eye was swollen shut! So you have to understand why schools take these measures. THEY dont want the liability! Schools have many bans/rules for the safety of the children. Rules /laws are just a part of life .Teaching children to respect rules and authority is very important! Teaching them to respect others is too!

EDIT: I have to add that I didn't see any schools with bans on peanuts for the whole entire school. I have however worked at many schools with peanut free lunch tables and some classes with specific bans. There has always been more than one child with a peanut allergy per school. And that was about 6 years ago. I have to imagine if there is a complete ban for the whole school there must be a high number of kids with the peanut allergy. I also want to add that I'm not supporting an all out ban. Personally if my baby ends up with a peanut allergy I will most likely home school until he is older. Like I said before...its the SCHOOLS/DISTRICT that make this decision. Rules suck. Laws suck. But its life

Replies

• wonderwomanT08
    August 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Sorry for the lack of spacing. Something is messed up with my phone or the site....idk
  • Cmgmqmmom
    August 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    13 people died from a peanut allergy between 1996- 2006. The statistical likelihood of dying from a peanut allergy is almost non- existent.
    You don't have to like it, but statistics are facts. Your kids is more likely to die from a gun shot or a car accident. Banning nuts because one person a year dies from a reaction is overkill.
  • wonderwomanT08
    August 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Okay its 2013 right now. It is rising. And the number of deaths are around 200 a year in the US. The number of ER visits are in the thousands.
    Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume. They are not even related to nuts. Maybe banning seems like overkill but some schools don't want the risk. That is just the way it is.

Imo if my baby has a peanut allergy I'm seriously considering home schooling until he is older. Its not 100% completely avoidable

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

13 people died from a peanut allergy between 1996- 2006. The statistical likelihood of dying from a peanut allergy is almost non- existent.

You don't have to like it, but statistics are facts. Your kids is more likely to die from a gun shot or a car accident. Banning nuts because one person a year dies from a reaction is overkill.

• Cmgmqmmom
    August 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    No. The total number of deaths from *all* food allergies is approximately 200 a year. One of those deaths is from peanut allergies.
    Yes, the number is rising. However, it's not going to jump from one to even one hundred in a single year.
    Your kid is more likely to die from a gun shot or a car accident. We need to put these allergies into perspective.
    Peanuts being a legume has nothing to do with it.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Okay its 2013 right now. It is rising. And the number of deaths are around 200 a year in the US. The number of ER visits are in the thousands.

Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume. They are not even related to nuts. Maybe banning seems like overkill but some schools don't want the risk. That is just the way it is.

Imo if my baby has a peanut allergy I'm seriously considering home schooling until he is older. Its not 100% completely avoidable

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

• NDADanceMom
    August 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Our school bans no food. They do not consider it a reasonable accommodation to make over 1000 people be peanut free. If they can't eat in the lunchroom they can eat in the office and teachers are willing to wipe down desks and doorknobs if that is needed. More than that and they can find a peanut free school or homeschool.
    A girl in our state died last week at a church event, with her parents, because she ate a bar with peanuts in it. She spit the food out, never swallowed it. Mom and dad gave her several injections right away but she died nearly instantly in dads arms. I think peanut free schools gives a false sense of security. Even mom and dad in this case couldn't ensure peanut free.
  • ditsyjo
    by ditsyjo
    August 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    I totally understand a classroom ban if there is a child with an allergy but the whole school... That would be like me demanding a school wide ban of anything with possible sulfate because my daughter is allergic. It is still over kill
  • susannah2000
    August 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I understand that peanut allergies are severe, but what are the other 97% of the population supposed to do? Are they supposed to stop eating or going outside of their homes, or ever doing anything, or ever touching anything because they have eaten or passed by something containing nuts? Where is the respect for them?

• wonderwomanT08
    August 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Ummm....no. Did you read my post? Again...its the SCHOOLS/DISTRICT that don't want the liability. I simply explained why. There are many rules /laws in this land. That's just life. I don't expect anything from anyone. I don't know anyone else who has this allergy who asks anything from anyone either. You seem to be making a bigger deal of it than you need to be.

Oh and btw peanuts are not a nut. Not even related to nuts. They are a legume. I am allergic to peanuts....not nuts. There is a big difference.

Quoting susannah2000:

I understand that peanut allergies are severe, but what are the other 97% of the population supposed to do? Are they supposed to stop eating or going outside of their homes, or ever doing anything, or ever touching anything because they have eaten or passed by something containing nuts? Where is the respect for them?

• wonderwomanT08
    August 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    Most schools I worked at had more than one child with a peanut allergy. I've never heard of a whole school being peanut free...just classrooms. They had peanut free tables in the lunch room. Do you know of a school.that is peanut free for one student?

Quoting ditsyjo:

I totally understand a classroom ban if there is a child with an allergy but the whole school... That would be like me demanding a school wide ban of anything with possible sulfate because my daughter is allergic. It is still over kill

• susannah2000
    August 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Most schools I worked at had more than one child with a peanut allergy. I've never heard of a whole school being peanut free...just classrooms. They had peanut free tables in the lunch room. Do you know of a school.that is peanut free for one student?

Quoting ditsyjo:

I worked at a preschool that had kids from infant to school age, and each room had lists of every allergic child in the school. The whole faciility was not only peanut free, even when there was no kid there with peanut allergy, but no outside food was allowed, no outside lunches, snacks or treats allowed, either homemade or store bought. I thought that was overkill and unfair.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN