The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
angiev123
C-section VS. VBAC
July 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I recently had a baby, November '12 and due to a few complications I had to have an emergency c section. I'm currently pregnant again (oops..) and my dr said I could do a VBAC but the chance of me and baby dying are 60% higher and if I do VBAC there isn't an option of c section if I have complications again.

What I'm wondering is how true that is?
And mom that have had two c sections...is healing more painful, and worse the second time around??

Replies

• Blueflute
    July 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I had two c-section then three vbac. I healed faster with my second c section then my first. My doctor encouraged me to have a vbac after my second c-section, he was my biggest baby of the bunch and was the easiest to deliver. I'm wondering why the doctor said you couldn't have a c-section if your vbac didn't work?

• RADmomma
    July 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    I suggest you get a second opinion & do some research. Those numbers don't sound right to me.

I had an emergency csection with my first in 2007.

I just had a vbac in December. I'll take the vaginal over the csection any day!!

• amonkeymom
    July 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I'm thinking that either you misunderstood your doctor or you need to get another opinion. 

I've had 3 c-sections and healing is much easier (in my opinion) in subesquent sections, probably because you don't first go through a long exhausting labor and you know what to expect.

• LuLuRex
    by LuLuRex
    July 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I agree with the others that you should get a second opinion

I had an emergency c section with my first and my doctor strongly advised me against VBAC with my second. I went with a section for #2.

• angiev123
    July 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    So, all of you that had 2 sections in a row, it was easier for you to heal the second time? I know it probably sounds selfish, but I'm just scared of the recovery being harder. Because I remember it being pretty bad the first time. But then again I was in labor for 36 hours before I got one. My dr is pretty strict, and he's the best in the area I'm in. I called another dr to get a second opinion but he never got back to me.

All I'm really worried about is what's safest for the baby, and the recovery time for me.
  • mcginnisc
    July 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hmmm..that does not sound correct about no section if you try VBAC...

I had 2 sections. The first was an emergency as I was dying ( dd died in utero at 36 weeks) after 3 days of inducement and no progression. The second was planned, but early. It was planned for 39 weeks, but due to Pre-E, it was at 34 weeks instead. I have no experience with VBAC. I would get another opinion myself. 

• katnissever
    July 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I would say get a second opinion then decide. But the alternative to C section seems like a cleaner way to go.

• AmericanChild82
    July 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    You're dr sounds like a moron! Get a second opinion.
  • angiev123
    July 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Like I said, I'm just nervous about how hard recovery will be this time. It's different for everyone I guess, but hearing other stories kind of helps calm me down, haha
  • lizard3731
    July 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I've had 3 c-sections.  My dr told me that he didn't recommend a vbac, because I might wind up having a c-section anyway.  I don't know if there's a greater chance of complications or not.  Healing was about the same for all 3.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN