angiev123
C-section VS. VBAC
July 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I recently had a baby, November '12 and due to a few complications I had to have an emergency c section. I'm currently pregnant again (oops..) and my dr said I could do a VBAC but the chance of me and baby dying are 60% higher and if I do VBAC there isn't an option of c section if I have complications again.

What I'm wondering is how true that is?
And mom that have had two c sections...is healing more painful, and worse the second time around??

Replies

• Blueflute
    July 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I had two c-section then three vbac. I healed faster with my second c section then my first. My doctor encouraged me to have a vbac after my second c-section, he was my biggest baby of the bunch and was the easiest to deliver. I'm wondering why the doctor said you couldn't have a c-section if your vbac didn't work?

• RADmomma
    July 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    I suggest you get a second opinion & do some research. Those numbers don't sound right to me.

I had an emergency csection with my first in 2007.

I just had a vbac in December. I'll take the vaginal over the csection any day!!

• amonkeymom
    July 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I'm thinking that either you misunderstood your doctor or you need to get another opinion. 

I've had 3 c-sections and healing is much easier (in my opinion) in subesquent sections, probably because you don't first go through a long exhausting labor and you know what to expect.

• LuLuRex
    by LuLuRex
    July 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I agree with the others that you should get a second opinion

I had an emergency c section with my first and my doctor strongly advised me against VBAC with my second. I went with a section for #2.

• angiev123
    July 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    So, all of you that had 2 sections in a row, it was easier for you to heal the second time? I know it probably sounds selfish, but I'm just scared of the recovery being harder. Because I remember it being pretty bad the first time. But then again I was in labor for 36 hours before I got one. My dr is pretty strict, and he's the best in the area I'm in. I called another dr to get a second opinion but he never got back to me.

All I'm really worried about is what's safest for the baby, and the recovery time for me.
  • mcginnisc
    July 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hmmm..that does not sound correct about no section if you try VBAC...

I had 2 sections. The first was an emergency as I was dying ( dd died in utero at 36 weeks) after 3 days of inducement and no progression. The second was planned, but early. It was planned for 39 weeks, but due to Pre-E, it was at 34 weeks instead. I have no experience with VBAC. I would get another opinion myself. 

• katnissever
    July 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I would say get a second opinion then decide. But the alternative to C section seems like a cleaner way to go.

• AmericanChild82
    July 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    You're dr sounds like a moron! Get a second opinion.
  • angiev123
    July 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Like I said, I'm just nervous about how hard recovery will be this time. It's different for everyone I guess, but hearing other stories kind of helps calm me down, haha
  • lizard3731
    July 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I've had 3 c-sections.  My dr told me that he didn't recommend a vbac, because I might wind up having a c-section anyway.  I don't know if there's a greater chance of complications or not.  Healing was about the same for all 3.