MamaRae85
For those of you who homeschool...
July 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What do you do to ensure that your kids are getting a healthy amount of social interaction? I've been thinking about homeschooling, but I'm definitely a homebody. We don't socialize much, and our son's friends consist mainly of the kids he goes to church with. I'd like to make sure I don't fall into the trap of creating an environment for my kid(s) where they're spending so much time at home that they don't know how to behave in social situations (a problem I've seen far to often among homeschooling familes). I know many families that are great with stuff like that, it just doesn't come naturally to me, so I'll have to make more effort to give him the most well-rounded education I can.

Our son just turned four.

Any tips you guys can give me?

Replies

• MamaRae85
    July 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Bump?

• VarelaClan
    July 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Homeschool group
    Martial arts
    Dance classes
    Sports through rec center
    Church
    Yoga classes
    Playing with kids in the neighborhood
  • MamaRae85
    July 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

There are few small children in our neighborhood, but martial arts is definitely something I've been wanting to do. I'd like all of our kids to take part in self-defense classes. These are great tips. Thanks!

Quoting VarelaClan:

Homeschool group
    Martial arts
    Dance classes
    Church
    Yoga classes

• VarelaClan
    July 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Out of the list, I think the homeschool group is the best for social interaction. We go on playdates, field trips, and just hang out with some of the families outside of the group. I highly encourage you to find a local homeschool group.

Quoting MamaRae85:

There are few small children in our neighborhood, but martial arts is definitely something I've been wanting to do. I'd like all of our kids to take part in self-defense classes. These are great tips. Thanks!

Quoting VarelaClan:

Homeschool group

Martial arts

Dance classes

Church

Yoga classes

• shoot4thestars
    July 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Extra curricular activites, going to parks regulary, story time at the local library.

• MessedUpMama
    July 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Scouts

Boys and girls club

swim classes at the YMCA

Community Education classes

Join a play group

Indoor playground membership

Little League baseball

Pop Warner football

Gymnastics classes

Dance classes

Home-school co-ops

Other clubs that suit their talents and/or interests.

• AngelSinger
    July 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

First, Google "The socialization myth." 

Secondly, listen to your kids. Are they bored? Do they complain about not seeing friends? Don't assume there is a problem without first investigating. 

Third, if they do need more, check out your local Parks & Recreation or YMCA. They have excellent low-cost classes. Often, they offer classes specifically for homeschoolers. You might also want to check out any local homeschooling groups. 

Good luck!

• MamaRae85
    July 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Oh, it's already a problem. lol He's FAR more social than I, and I struggle to find things that don't cost a ton of money for him to do with other kids. We live in a town with very few children, and (as far as I know) no toddlers or preschoolers at all. Both sides of the family live in different states, so I know this'll be something that I have to keep on top of as my kids grow up.

Quoting AngelSinger:

Secondly, listen to your kids. Are they bored? Do they complain about not seeing friends? Don't assume there is a problem without first investigating. 

Third, if they do need more, check out your local Parks & Recreation or YMCA. They have excellent low-cost classes. Often, they offer classes specifically for homeschoolers. You might also want to check out any local homeschooling groups. 

Good luck!

• MamaRae85
    July 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, by the way. Honestly, before I posted this, I hadn't even thought of YMCA.

Quoting AngelSinger:

Good luck!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I'm just starting this year...but I have enrolled my kids in a co op class, that is one hour every other week...and they will each do one sport and one other extra curricular group thing.  We will also do field trips and park days with two different homeschool groups.

I'd rather stay home all the time, but I know they need the social stuff and it will be good for me too.  I think you just figure it out as you go :)  I'm not too worried about it, but my kids are older too so they are already pretty social and well behaved.  I think since you are aware of it, you will do fine.