The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
momof6andmore
How would you handle this?? Do you think I am wrong??? piog
July 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

My 9 year old dd is in love with Bruno Mars and because he is a different race than us, my husband is not happy...he actually teases my dd about this and says not nice things to her..it really came as a shock to me because my husband works with and is friends with more people that are different races than us ..than are the same race as us...hope I said that right...

so I told my daughter that it is perfectly fine that she likes him...and I feel bad for going against my dh...

Am I over reacting?? Interracial marriage is not accepted in my family..at all..even though I see nothing wrong with it and I think interracial babies are gorgeous...and I believe that God created all people to be equal...

I mean she is only 9...and my 13 yr old is obsessed with Justin Bieber, and 1D and such...but I dont want my kids to grow up feeling that they don't have a choice...so what would you do???

Replies

• coolmommy2x
    July 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    I would've gone against DH too.
  • rgba
    by rgba
    July 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Go back in time and pick a non racist DH
    ;)

• jobberwocky
    July 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I would have gone against him too. 

• momdoes
    by momdoes
    July 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What the hell, SHE IS 9!!!!!!!

You got a few years, hopefully, before a marriage happens.

• NDADanceMom
    July 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    I would talk privately with my husband and hope that he would approach our daughter. I would expect that he explain why he is uncomfortable in a mature manner. I would hope that as a family we can have a unified message. I think its ok to be uncomfortable but its important to be able to articulate those reasons and hopefully come to an understanding of acceptance and love even when we don't agree.
    No matter what the issue i don't side against my husband publicly. I respect his choices and ability to be reasoned with.
  • ditsyjo
    by ditsyjo
    July 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    I would tell her it is ok too and have a private talk with hubby
  • frndlyfn
    July 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I dont understand why he would act this way about a crush when it is a 9 yr old and a celebrity whom she may never meet in real life.   I would have sided with my child as well since i think everyone should be free to love whomever they want.

• Schizomom91
    July 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    Gonna slowly back out....
  • mama23brie
    July 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Although i think its silly of him to be teasing such a young girl about an innocent crush, i can say i totally understand. My dh has already discussed having a violent reaction to his daughters dating black men. His sister was dating a black guy recently and his mother kept it a secret from the family cuz of how they would react. And i once remember my own mother telling me she would disown me if i ever dated a black guy.

makes my skin crawl. And personally, i feel as long as whoever my daughter is with treats her with respect and faithfulness and is a positive influence i won't care what color they are.

racism pisses me off, ugh.
  • lenashark
    July 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I would have gone against him and I would have firmly told my husband that he will not act like a racist in front of our kids and teach them those things.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts