UmmSahil
Is he too skinny!?
July 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Hi mommies,

I'm a first time mom & my baby will turn 1yo in less than 3 wks.

He was born 2.75kgs, 3 wks early but otherwise healthy. For complicated reasons I couldn't breastfeed him for more than 6wks :'(
He has reached his milestones on time, he started solids by 6 months & is now a super active & playful baby. He crawls all over the house & is close to walking now :)

Both my bf & I have a good metabolism which means we don't put on weight easily.

My baby now weighs 8.5kgs, he drinks 16-18oz of formula in a day, eats solids (porridge of rice/pasta with veggies & chicken or meat) 2 small bowls portions, 1 or 2 Oreo cookies, half a banana or mango, some cheese puffs/curls as snacks & some fruit yogurt.

I'm trying to wean him off formula so I can increase his solid foods intake more, and perhaps put him on completely full milk (which didn't suit him yet, he got constipated :/)

But I'm becomin obsessive now, coz I've come across people who always comment- Oh my! Ur baby is so skinny (and then to add insult to injury)- Oh is ur baby skinny coz ure so skinny urself?

Its so rude! I never comment on anybody's baby's size coz I think its outta line, unless ure asked abt.

So plz put me outta my misery & let me how if my lil munchkin is really too skinny for his age? Or am I bein paranoid caught up in Mompetion?

Also any tips on how to fatten him up? ;)

Thanx in advance to all of u!

Cheers :)

Replies

• KendallsMommee
    July 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM
    One kg equals 2.2 lbs for those that don't know.

My dd was a fat baby, but is a skinny 6 year old. She's super tall though.

As long as he's healthy, don't worry about it!

• TiffanyMarie80
    July 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM
    For starters, until after his first birthday, formula needs to be his main source of nutrition with solids being just for fun. I believe 24-32 ounces is what's recommended. Cut the porridge. Which fills the tummy but doesn't provide adequate nutrition or calories. Cut the Oreos and cheese curls and offer a variety of fruits, veggies, and meats. Whole milk before 1 is going to be tough for him to digest, but dairy products like cheese and yogurt are great. Foods like avocado are high in healthy fats and are always a good choice. As far as being too skinny goes, it sounds like he's meeting milestones just five, and people are being unnecessarily mean. Not all babies are chunks.
  • frndlyfn
    July 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM

It sounds like he is right on his curve.  When dd was a baby the nurse told me that they want the baby to be triple the weight they were born so it looks like your little one is on track.  I have a naturally thin child as well and people were worried until they met my dad LOL  He is 6'7 and barely 170-180 lbs (sorry cant remember how to convert that to kgs.)  As long as he is healthy and the doctor is not worried, dont pay any mind to what others say.

• ditsyjo
    by ditsyjo
    July 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM

converted to lbs 18.7 not real big for a one year old but he started out pretty small so his growth curve is probably fairly even. I wouldn't worry about it. how tall is he.

• Mrs.Pedro
    July 7, 2013 at 2:24 AM
    He sounds small but normal! As long as he is hitting milestones and seems to be eating and digesting food well he is okay. Instead of doing full cow milk could you try goat milk? It is easier on human bellies.
  • Mrs.Pedro
    July 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM
    Also if you go by triple the birth weight by a year rule then he is very very close! Not too small IMO!
  • UmmSahil
    July 7, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Photos

First of all thank you very much to all your replies & advice.
    Btw, that's him up there on his playhouse.
    My bf is tall, 6"2 & Sahil (that's my baby's name:)) is a tall baby (from what the doc told me when he was born & how he's growin now)
    Also his paed said he's perfectly fine & growin up well, on track.

But I despair when I see chunky round babies (some who are younger than him!)

I try not to compare him coz by God's grace he's perfectly healthy & much more active than some babies I know.

But I try your suggestions & see if it makes any difference :)