priincessz
Help!
July 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Mobile Photo

I need help with a dog that was given to us from my DH's boss. He's a yorkie and his name is Cassidy. Well I just noticed that he has this red spot on his back by his tail and it looks really painful. I'm pretty sure he was an inside dog. Here is a pic. I hope its nothing major I bought him a spray that helps with the itch but he just keeps licking at it.
Sorry if the pic is big.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    July 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

It looks like something a vet needs to see.  

• NDADanceMom
    July 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    It could be scabies which requires a quarantine and parasite medication. Its also contagious to humans. It could be a hot spot which will be made worse by a bug spray. I would shave the dog to start with, cone it and if you can't afford a weekend vet put it in a room with no carpet, no bedding (to prevent reinfection and spread of possible scabies) and bring it in on Monday.
  • lalalamama
    July 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Agree 100%

Quoting NDADanceMom:

It could be scabies which requires a quarantine and parasite medication. Its also contagious to humans. It could be a hot spot which will be made worse by a bug spray. I would shave the dog to start with, cone it and if you can't afford a weekend vet put it in a room with no carpet, no bedding (to prevent reinfection and spread of possible scabies) and bring it in on Monday.

• priincessz
    July 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to take him to the vet hospital they have inside petsmart.

Quoting lalalamama:

Agree 100%

Quoting NDADanceMom:

• godsgirl26
    July 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    Oh gah I don't know I would take him to the vet.
  • Thunderbug75
    July 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My guess would be a hot spot from an allergy.  But that is just a guess.

• kjsaes
    by kjsaes
    July 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    My lab did that we were told by the vet to give him one human allergy tablet a day. We wrapped it in chesse he ate it fine and it took care of it
  • priincessz
    July 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    What kind of pill did you give him

Quoting kjsaes:

My lab did that we were told by the vet to give him one human allergy tablet a day. We wrapped it in chesse he ate it fine and it took care of it
  • blue123244
    July 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

take him to the vet

• priincessz
    July 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    I bought him a spray for hot spots and gave him a cool bath with some oatmeal shampoo. Right now he is doing okay, he's not chewing at it as much as before.

Quoting Thunderbug75:

My guess would be a hot spot from an allergy.  But that is just a guess.