The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
ETHANMASONMOMMY
Feel bad for my son
July 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I feel bad for my 6yr old son as we dont have many friends that we are close to with kids the same age as him. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat as me? And how do I find friends for him?

Replies

• sleepy_in_va
    July 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    If he is 6 shouldn't be be in school? Does he not have friends that he met in school that you all could make play dates with?
  • coolmommy2x
    July 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    How about friends from school? Is he on any sports teams? There are lots of ways for him to make friends. JMO but I think kids also need friends independent of their parents' friends.
  • quickbooksworm
    July 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Get him involved in sports and activities. My son couldn't care less about the kids at school but his good friends are mostly from karate. Most of my friends are too.
  • ETHANMASONMOMMY
    July 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    Yes he has one from school, and he plays baseball and the one kid he really likes is moving..
  • victoria1971
    July 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    My son is the same way. He has speech issues so nobody wants to be friends with him. It sucks
  • Wicked.Jester
    July 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Get him involved in community sports or other activities.  Go to the local library, they likely have tons of stuff posted.

• ETHANMASONMOMMY
    July 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Thats not cool :( Im sry

Quoting victoria1971:

My son is the same way. He has speech issues so nobody wants to be friends with him. It sucks

• Wicked.Jester
    July 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My daughter is on the spectrum (Aspergers) and is a very socially "weird" child.

I reached out to support groups just to get her confidence up and help her with her social interaction and met up with parents and other kids like her a few times a month.  I live in a small town, it seems like very fortunately there seem to be a lot of groups out there.

Have you tried that for your son?

Quoting victoria1971:

• NDADanceMom
    July 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    We just keep the kids busy. Our village only has 295 people so obviously not a ton of kids. I drive the 10 minutes to the next town to enroll them in sports.
  • xanadu96
    July 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Mine has ADHD, ASD and pediatric bipolar so I know exactly how you feel. He's pretty much a social pariah.

Quoting victoria1971:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN