The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
LDavis33
Is this rude, or is it just me? EDITED TO ADD #3
July 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I stopped at the grocery store this morning with my 9 month old daughter to pick up a loaf of bread.  I got in the check out line behind two people.  The lady right in front of me had a cart load of groceries.  So I stood there in line, holding my daughter and a loaf of bread waiting for my turn.

I thought it was inconsiderate to not offer to let me ahead of her.  If I find myself in a similar situation I always offer, even if I have my kids and the person behind me is alone.  To me, it's just common courtesy.

FYI. There was only 1 line open, no express line.  She absolutely knew I was there because she had to go around me to grab a magazine from the rack behind me.

ETA.  Wow.  I really didn't expect that I would be in the minority on this one.  I thought that letting someone ahead of you in line was just common courtesy, like holding the door for the person behind you.  

I'm really surprised that some of you think I was rude by expecting to be allowed to go ahead.  First of all, I didn't actually "expect" it (I've learned a long time ago that expecting people to be considerate and polite is a waste of time), I just thought it was inconsiderate. Secondly, even if I did expect it, I don't see how that would be rude.  I mean, expecting people to be kind and considerate of others is rude?  Hmmmm.  Perhaps if I had said something to her, that would have been rude, but I simply waited patiently in line with my daughter.

I do get that her time is just as important as mine, but honestly what is 30 seconds to anyone?

And, for further clarification I am not a spoiled, entitled brat.  I'm just someone who was raised to go out of my way to help others and am sometimes surprised that not everyone was taught common courtesy.

ETA #2.

Well apparently I am in the minority on this one.  I honestly thought this was a common act of courtesy.  I do it all of the time and others have done it for me. 

You can continue to believe that I am a spoiled, entitled brat.  But just remember, the next time you are stuck in traffic, trying to merge and someone lets you in it might be me.  Or if you are running through a downpour towards the bank, and someone waits an extra 5 seconds to hold the door for you, it might be me.

ETA #3.

Well, I'm glad to see I have a couple of supporters out there.  I guess we just look at the world a little differently that the majority of people.  

To those who resorted to name calling (you know who you are), all I have to say is "how rude!"

Replies

• coolmommy2x
    July 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    I would have offered to let you go first. It's just being considerate. Once I made DS (4 at the time) give up his seat for an elderly man on a bus and he was very grateful. It's just being nice.
  • lalalamama
    July 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    Or had to pee real bad! Happens to me often lol! Darn post menopausal bladders :(

Quoting Indiemom880:

No. She was not being inconsiderate. Maybe she has a bad back and can't wait?

• Mrs.Kubalabuku
    July 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It would have been nice, but it isn't rude to NOT offer your place in line.

If it were me, I'd have offered to let you go ahead of me.  I can totally see where you are coming from, because it is a common courtesy.  

• heathheerr
    July 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    I don't think its rude of that person at all .
  • AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    July 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    I tend to have older folks offer their place ahead of me in line to me, when I have my Son and only a couple items. I always thank them and politely decline, as they're my elders and my Son is well-behaved and patient, so We have no issues waiting.
    I do make that offer to anyone with less items than I have, when they are elderly, or if they have an infant or fussy child, but I rarely encounter anyone in that situation.
    In my opinion, you're rude for expecting that offer. Sometimes people do it, but you shouldn't expect it of anyone. They're in line and have things to do, just like you do.
  • SuthernBelleo0o
    July 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I'm with you on this one. I ALWAYS let people who have less things than I do go ahead of me. I've also been taught to go out of my way to be kind to others. I don't expect people to do it for me though because we live in a dog eat dog kind of world where its every man for himself. sad, but thats the way it is.

• MaryLu86
    July 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Exactly!

Quoting AHmom103:

No, it's not rude. No one is obligated to give their spot in line to someone else, even if they have 10 carts full, and you only have one item.

• Bonneata
    July 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Common courtesy and respect for others has one completely out the window. I cannot believe the number moms that thought it was rude of you to want people to behave in a considerate manner. People have done tis for me once or twice and I have done it for others as well

• MrsImperfect
    July 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    I am always considerate of others. Always. Thats just my nature. Even though people are not to me. If I see that I usually let the person go ahead of me but I don't always pay attention to what the person behind me has or is doing. BUT I don't see it as rude when the gesture isn't offered. I do feel its rude to assume (general) you have the obligation to go ahead of anyone just because you have less stuff. Or if your standing in line huffing about not being able to go ahead.
  • babybrooks07
    July 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    I must agree with the majority of the ladies... I think it's nice of people to let me go first if I have one item, but I'd never expect it or think its rude if they didn't offer

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN