Mama2ETA
Do you forgive?
June 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

Replies

• MyStarLight
    June 30, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Ot depends what they did to me
    But most of the time i am forgiving of others
  • HisLovingBride
    June 30, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    It is important to know when to just forgive them and move on without them. I forgive because I want the same treatment when I mess up; but, after years of life I now know that forgiving does not mean continue in a toxic relationship.
  • Mama2ETA
    June 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM

I completely agree. Our situation was a one time thing, and very unexpected. I was screwed up at the time (medications messed up) but I knew better and was out of control. I'm thankful she forgave me and we have moved on. We've been friends for almost 20 years now. Our kids are best friends too.

Quoting HisLovingBride:

It is important to know when to just forgive them and move on without them. I forgive because I want the same treatment when I mess up; but, after years of life I now know that forgiving does not mean continue in a toxic relationship.

• kidlover2
    June 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Of course I forgive. Depending on the person's attitude and behavior, I will decide how to continue the relationship. One time deal, no biggie. Constant lying or gossiping, I become careful about what I tell them and keep a distance. Disrespect and belittling my feelings without a change I will either end the relationship or put a severe limit on my involvement with them. Forgiving someone doesn't mean allowing someone to walk all over you and not change. Forgiving someone means giving them a fresh start again.
  • NDADanceMom
    June 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    I am forgiving but i take precautions. If they borrowed something and broke it i wouldn't lend them something i cared about, for example.
  • lovelove211
    June 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Something like that I would forgive, although it depends if you said something horribly hurtful. There are some things and some people in my life I just can't seem to forgive
  • RheaF
    by RheaF
    June 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    This. Holding on to anger and resentment only hurts you. Forgive and move on. Free yourself.

Quoting HisLovingBride:

It is important to know when to just forgive them and move on without them.
    I forgive because I want the same treatment when I mess up; but, after years of life I now know that forgiving does not mean continue in a toxic relationship.
  • emmy526
    by emmy526
    June 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM

i'll forgive, but then proceed with caution

• lapcounter
    June 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    It depends.
  • happymommy1105
    June 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Forgiveness has nothing to do with the other person or the restoring of a relationship.

Forgiveness is for myself, for mu own heart. forgiveness is so I can rid my own heart of anger and not become a bitter person.

Forgiveness is the realization that the past cannot be redone and that the debt I am owed cannot be repaid.

Forgiveness is allowing yourself to move past the anger and into healing.

Forgiveness is NOT the restoring of a relationship. forgiveness is NOT forgetting. forgiveness is NOT being a dormat.