The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Mama2ETA
Do you forgive?
June 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Do you forgive people that make horrible mistakes? Like going off on you, or getting mad at something so tiny? If they apologize and change. Would you forgive them?

I have a friend that I've known since I was 7. She was 8. I was having an episode 2 years ago, and I went off on her for her continuously blowing off hanging out because it effected my kids (they would cry because all of a sudden they didn't get to hang out with their best friends- they were like 4 and 5). She would just make other plans. Well, we didn't talk for over a year. I asked her forgiveness and apologized and I let her cool off and left her alone for 2 years. I messaged her 4 months ago and asked how she was doing and we have been hanging out weekly since. She forgave me, but I completely understood if she chose not to.

Are you a forgiving person?

Replies

• starbuckadama
    July 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    I wouldn't really call getting mad I've something tiny a horrible mistake.
    I'd classify horrible mistakes as cheating, big lies about money/family, etc.

But with something like you described, I wouldn't even hesitate to forgive. People have emotions. They get mad. They yell. You know?
  • imuney
    by imuney
    July 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I do forgive,but I do not mend broken relationships. Just yesterday an old friend called to apologize for hurting me really badly months ago,and I truly appreciated the apology but I have no plans on rekindling the friendship. I know forgiveness is there though because despite everything I would still be there for his daughters if they ever needed me,I know I could put everything else aside and just do whatever they needed.

• camo.roo
    July 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    I'm a forgiving person. No one is perfect. Everyone has bad days.
  • SissyAnn141
    July 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Quoting twingirlmommy:

I am way too forgiving.

I always "FORGIVE".

If GOD, can forgive them, then I have to also.

• Momma-Clau
    July 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    I am a very forgiving person.
    It is sad that people tend to take advantage of forgiving people, but when your forgiveness is not about them but for YOU then you'll always forgive and move on t
  • NooNoo36
    July 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    I'm very forgiving and not forgetful. The main thing we fail to realize is forgiveness is for you and not the other person.
  • Redwall
    by Redwall
    July 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I'm sorry, but where in the Bible does it say we need to forgive in just 2 circumstances. My ex NEVER even asked for forgiveness and doesn't even believe what he did was wrong. So I should just hold onto that and be mad forever? Uh, no! I should forgive him--even if I never utter the words to him, "I forgive you". As a previous poster stated, forgiveness isn't for the other person, it's for you. If I only forgave ppl according to your standards, I'd be an ugly mess. That doesn't mean I reconcile with my ex, I just have to move on in my heart. The Bible teaches us to forgive in ALL situations. I've had a pretty crappy life and have been through a lot of therapy to get to the place I am now and to understand that only through the power of Jesus, am I able to forgive those who have hurt me. It's a work in progress as my sometimes my blood still boils when I talk to my ex, but I meditate and pray every day. Quoting Redwall: We're only required (by the Bible) to forgive in two circumstances...they don't know what they did is hurtful in which case we need to explain it to them...and if they truly repent and ask for forgiveness. If I want to forgive more, that's not true repentance and I'm putting a stamp on bad behavior.

• Redwall
    by Redwall
    July 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Jesus forgives us when we ask for forgiveness and repent of our sins.  You can't be forgiven for a sin when you keep committing it without regret.  We are to do the same for others who sin against us...when they ask for forgiveness and repent of their sins.  Repentence is ceasing the sin and refraining from it.  Jesus will not forgive a murderer who kills, asks forgiveness with no intent to change, kills again, asks forgiveness again with no intent to change, kills again, ad infinitum.  Nor are we required to.

However, if one truly asks for forgiveness and truly repents, we are REQUIRED to forgive.  As many times as is necessary.  That doesn't mean we have to tolerate the sins against us, putting distance between us and the sinner is perfectly acceptable.  If those sins are of a legally punishable nature, forgiving does not mean they do not have to pay a legal price.

The next instance where we are required to forgive is when a person truly does not know what they are doing "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

• monicas3w
    July 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Forgiveness is easy. It's the forgetting that's hard. You never forget and it may come up if things get heated again.

• Miss_Mandy80
    July 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

It does really depend on the situation but I am a very forgiving person =)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts