The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Wdpitts22
Slow Flow vs Med or Fast Flow
June 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Hey all! My son is 4 months old and I am transitioning from breastfeeding to formula ( I know I suck :( but work is interfering with my supply ) but anyways I use slow flow nipples on his bottle and he seems frustrated and upset when feeding...could it be he isn't getting enough and I need to go to med or fast flow??? Advice please! :))

Replies

• frndlyfn
    June 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I cant remember which we used for when dd had to have bottles but i think we did medium flow for our playtex drop in bottles. 6 months we did fast flow.

• Wdpitts22
    June 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Okay I think I will try medium flow. I use playtex drop in nursers. He just seems so frustrated at feeding time with the slow flow

Quoting frndlyfn:

I cant remember which we used for when dd had to have bottles but i think we did medium flow for our playtex drop in bottles. 6 months we did fast flow.

• frndlyfn
    June 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I am presuming you will try to nurse  at the times you are not working as well as the supplementing with formula.  It does not have to be one or the other for feeding.  

• Wdpitts22
    June 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    That's what I have been doing but it's getting to the point where I'm just drying up. When I pump at work I get 2oz out one side and less than an oz out the other :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am presuming you will try to nurse  at the times you are not working as well as the supplementing with formula.  It does not have to be one or the other for feeding.  

• bzzybeemomof3
    June 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I started using med flow around 4 months and then fast flow around 6-7 months. Not often though. My kids were using mostly sippy cups at 3-4 months old, just a bottle before sleep time. lol

• Wdpitts22
    June 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    What is the avg age to start sippy cups?! Am I behind??? Lol I'm a first time mom so I'm learning

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I started using med flow around 4 months and then fast flow around 6-7 months. Not often though. My kids were using mostly sippy cups at 3-4 months old, just a bottle before sleep time. lol

• bzzybeemomof3
    June 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You are not behind...dont worry. lol Avg age is 6 months old. But they do make cups 3+ months. I started my 3 kids on cups at 3 months old. When they could start to play a bit I just added water in a sippy cup and gave them to play with it on the floor. And once they figured out they could drink from it, we started using it for formula a few times a days.

I have been lucky though, not all babies will accept a cup over a bottle. All 3 of my girls weaned off of bottles by 6 months, they only had for bed time, then at 8, 9 and 10 months old my kids weaned 100% of off the bottle.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

What is the avg age to start sippy cups?! Am I behind??? Lol I'm a first time mom so I'm learning

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

• Wdpitts22
    June 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Oh wow, that's awesome! He is starting to hold his bottle now so I'll just play it by ear and see when it's okay to go to the next step. Thanks so much for your help! I'm so appreciative of everyone on this site!!!
  • norahsmommy
    June 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    That amount is totally normal. Normal pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz. per session. You will just have to pump more frequently if you need more stored milk.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

That's what I have been doing but it's getting to the point where I'm just drying up. When I pump at work I get 2oz out one side and less than an oz out the other :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

• Wdpitts22
    June 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Really?? I thought I should be pumping the amt he eats at each feeding...and he takes 4-5oz now

Quoting norahsmommy:

That amount is totally normal. Normal pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz. per session. You will just have to pump more frequently if you need more stored milk.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

Quoting frndlyfn:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts