The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Tipsen
Why are so many people against this?
by Tipsen
June 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
My family is planning on donating grandpas house to a local homeless shelter. He passed away earlier this year. The shelter would then allow 1-2 families at a time (depending on size of family) to live there for a max of 60 days so they can get on their feet. One of the requirement of this home is going to be the child attends the local school (it is a way so the kids don't have to transfer schools while their families are going through this difficult time). Well the problem we are running into is the neighbors objecting to the plan and there is going to be a city counsel meeting about it. The home will be maintained by the shelter and no one with felony or violent crime backgrounds will be allowed to stay there (more city requirements). This is not a really rich neighborhood but not poor either. Houses range from 150,000-250,000, which is lower income for this school district. I just want to know if you would be against something like this in your neighborhood? If the city does decline it we will be selling the house and donating the money

Replies

• TiffanyMarie80
    June 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Our church works closely with several other congregations to maintain multiple transitional home apartments and are in the process of raising funds to turn a single family home into a tri-pled for the same purpose - the homes are furnished, and set up with things the families can take with to set up their new homes.  It's a project that has been embraced by the community and has helped a lot of families.  

• Tipsen
    by Tipsen
    June 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    This is the same idea only a shelter instead of church only it is not being embraced by the community

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Our church works closely with several other congregations to maintain multiple transitional home apartments and are in the process of raising funds to turn a single family home into a tri-pled for the same purpose - the homes are furnished, and set up with things the families can take with to set up their new homes.  It's a project that has been embraced by the community and has helped a lot of families.  

• shiningjoy
    June 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Your family is amazing for doing this!!! 

• Laineybug81
    June 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Sounds to me like those neighbors are just being heartless and snobs. Definitely not the kind of people that I grew up around. 

It's so sad nowdays that people are so stuck on themselves that they can't help other people out. I applaud your efforts and I think it's wonderful that you are trying to do this and help people in need. 

• miraclemom20821
    June 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

This could be a family who had a fire, flood or eviction the world is changing and economic times are hurtng all walks of life - as long as the shelter does what it needs to to protect the neighborhood -background check, I think we need to see it as a blessing from your family that will continue to give for many years - people still fear what they don't understand. At the meeting have a clear plan to address the concerns. In our old neighborhood they were housing sexual predators all together in homes near schools - the law said it was legal because they were like a half way houses maybe that is sparking some fear in your neighbors. I hope your generous donation can be used as your family has hoped.

• TaralynnStewart
    June 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    In my neighbor I would be against, but I'm not against the idea.
  • mamanjulie
    June 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Ah yes, the NIMBYs. Hope cooler heads will prevail. Thank you for doing this!
  • terpmama
    June 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Id support it and probably volunteer as a local resource if it was near us (our neighborhood is rather large)... 

• momof2girls220
    June 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

i wouldn't care

• Bonita131
    June 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Whichever way you look at it, opening a shelter in anyone's neighborhood will bring property values down. It would have been wiser to sell the house and donate the money to a specific shelter, or use the money to build a shelter away from populated neighborhoods. You'll always have people objecting/protesting shelters wanting to open nearby, and you'll always have hotly debated city council meetings when you try to turn a single dwelling home into a multiple dwelling home/shelter.  

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts