The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
luvmybabies1309
Never done this before...
June 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

My husband, daughter, and I moved here to Petersburg, VA in October of last year.  We had our son this past March.  We have a 4 year old little girl who is very bright.  We don't know anyone here.  We left our friends back in Georgia and it's been hard to adjust to new people.  My husband suggests that I make friends who have children so that my daughter may have a playmate.  I am currently homeschooling her until we decide what educational path is right for her as far as meeting her advanced needs.  She has no one to play with and her brother is only 3 months old.  It's also probably good that I have someone to hang out with besides my husband all of the time. I'm not good with making friends, but I would like for my daughter to have someone to play with.  I hate seeing her face when she sees kids on tv playing together.  We play with her, but we're a long ways from being 4. My husband works early mornings and I am a stay at home mom.  Any advice?

Replies

• Heather101413
    June 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Google moms groups in your area.  Meetup.com is a great resource to find playgroups and moms groups in your area and other groups with similar interests.   We moved to California when my daughter was 2 months old and I didn't know anyone.  I joined a moms group and have made a ton of friends for myself and my daughter.  Good luck :)

• RADmomma
    June 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Try the library, playground, see if Amy local schools have a playgroup or you can also contact your town office & see if they have any papers on events & groups!
  • jbirdsladie27
    June 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Look for play groups in your area on FB, google, possibly even on here...
  • hugss
    by hugss
    June 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Lots of great ideas you wre given,
    Find your local YMCA & see if you can sign her up for any of the things they offer ;)

• ohyouknow
    June 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I would try hitting up a playground, let your kid play and just hang out - I've gone only a few times and around here mom's are all about gabbin to the new mom (me) and get to know each other (it's why I don't go.... I'd rather not, usually.)

Try going to a local kid place - around here we have zoos that have a kid play area (you can let the kids all go in and play) or a Chuck E Cheese, or my FAVORITE - Science Central - where kids can play with all kinds of hands on science. 

Maybe check out some museums for kid activities or attractions that are going on, or get her in a gymnastics type class or activity - just getting to be socialized with others her age, making friends, and you can make friends with them too, or attend playdates.

• jconney80
    June 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    Look on Facebook and Cafemom for mom groups in your area! Go to free events at parks and libraries!
  • luvmybabies1309
    June 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Thank you all for replying and I have found your suggestions to be quite helpful. Thanks for being so nice.

• Lovemyshadows
    June 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Try a church, they usually have a Mother's Day out, it will give your dd someone to play with. You don't have to be a member of the church.

• jobberwocky
    June 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Welcome to cafemom. Check to see if there is a MOPS program near you. Sounds like it would be good for both of you.

Also check out the local library. Sometimes they have story times for preschoolers. Since its summer time you can also look into gymnastics or dance classes for her. She will make friends that way.
  • LancesMom
    June 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Hi! Welcome to CafeMom!  I would check out the local parks and playgrounds, go for walks with your daughter and introduce yourself to the neighbors.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN