The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
NDADanceMom
Do you consider anything less than a Bachelors Degree a COLLEGE education?
May 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I hear people talking about graduating from college this time of year and they say they earned a CNA certificate, or an associates degree in paralegal, or whatever.....

While that is great and its some education that may help you get a job I think of it more like training than a college degree.  I personally would not support my kids doing anything other than a 4 year degree at a brick and mortar school (not online in other words).  

Replies

• dgrl2007
    May 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Yes, I graduated from a two year program, have my associates and am a RN

• DACIA79
    by DACIA79
    May 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    It depends on the degree 2 years in a healthcare field like nursing RN is acceptable.
  • KimmyShaw
    May 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

An associates degree yes...not sure about the others, never though of it or looked into it.

• Kmary
    by Kmary
    May 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I'm with you 50%.  While I guess I don't normally think of an Associate's or a certificate as a college degree per se, I would not have the stipulation that my kids must attend a 4 year school.  I did and loved it and went on to get my Master's degree, which was a necessity for my field.  I'm very pro-education, but I do not believe that 4 year schools are the end all, be all of career preparation.  Indeed right now, the people getting more offers and better paying jobs are more technical fields that do not require a 4 year degree (plumbers, electricians, HVAC, car mechanics, etc).  As long as they have a  solid plan I'll be ok with it.

• Gabeys_Mommy
    May 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    People work their asses off for an Associates, so yes I think that "counts". It's better than doing nothing.
  • Cherish77
    May 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Yes, they went to college, might just be a stepping stone, but still a college education. My mom only had her C.N.A certificate, but she couldn't get financial aid because dad made to much, just not enough to go to school to become an RN.
  • AmberRose1122
    An associates, yes, absolutely. A CNA certificate or any other certificate program? No.
  • Britty1987
    I think it depends on the degree. But I would support my children no matter what degree, if any, that they get. My son wants to be a farmer and won't need schooling. There are classes he could take, or he could even get a degree but he doesn't have to in order to have my support
  • alexsmomaubrys2

I consider having a certificate, having a certificate.

An associates degree and higher is a college degree.

I feel to be considered a college degree it has to be at least 2 years.

• Katt709
    by Katt709
    May 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    I really only consider it a college education if you graduate with a degree. A CNA or paralegal certificate is not a degree; they are certificates or awards to show completion of a program. If a person has an associates, they have a degree. And therefore a college education.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts