The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Cafe Robin
Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part
May 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part

by Jeanne Sager

Stephanie RedusWe've had more than a few "tried to sell the kid on Craigslist" stories floating around the Internet in recent years. Way too many, if you ask me. But there's something about the latest mom charged with trying to adopt out her 3-year-old son via a Craigslist ad that's a bit unusual.

The mom, Stephanie Redus, doesn't sound like your typical jerk mom who would use Craigslist to offload a kid because she doesn't care. I can't get truly enraged at her. If anything, I read the Texas mom's story and I felt ... pity.

The pangs of sympathy don't excuse what she's accused of doing. You just don't put your kid up for adoption on Craigslist, people. Who knows what kind of sicko is out there, just waiting to pounce?

That said, read what Redus' allegedly posted online:

Hi, I’m trying to adopt out my three year old son. I’m not in a good place in my life and don’t feel like I can care for him properly, but I don’t know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. I’m a single mom and can’t do this. Thanks, Desperate.

Does that sound like a mom trying to make a quick buck? A mom who really doesn't give two craps about her kid? Notice she repeats the words "care (or caring) for him" twice in there.

Call me a sucker, but Redus sounds ... like a fairly good mom.

Hey, I said fairly. She is charged with trying to arrange a Craigslist adoption.

But I should probably also tell you that Redus is pregnant.

Does that make you feel more sympathetic?

Me too.

It's HARD out there for parents who are feeling overwhelmed. There are "safe haven" laws, but in most places, they don't extend much past a baby's birth. Even finding a good babysitter to watch your kid for a few hours so you can get a handle on things is tough in this economy. As a recent report shows, the price of childcare has DOUBLED in the past 25 years.

Parents struggling with toddlers (or older kids) either have supportive family and friends to help out or ... what? Who will come to their aid when they're swimming as hard as they can and feeling like the undertow keeps pulling them in?

If we really want to put an end to the "kid being sold on Craigslist stories," maybe we need to look at why they keep happening.

So yes, we punish these parents who turn to Craigslist ... and we do something about the total lack of resources for struggling single parents out there.

That is how we make society better.

Do you feel sympathetic for this mom's plight?

What do you think should be done with her?

Replies

• allycally
    May 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    No,
  • Oceana09
    May 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I think there should be programs out there to help mom's like this that feel overwhelmed and don't have any help. It's not fair to the kids. It sounds like she's trying to just find him a good home and no where in that article do I raed the words "For Sale" or "I needs someone to adopt him." It just says "I need someone to care for him." She says she's trying to adopt him out. This could have easily been an add to get information from an adoption agency because like she said "I have no idea where to start."

• Cafe Robin
    May 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I feel bad for her - but wonder why she's pregnant again...

If someone offered her money for her child, I wonder if she would have just given him away.  Scary.

• Bekki
    by Bekki
    May 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I might be more sympathetic if she weren't pregnant. Stupid woman can't care for one child as it is. Irresponsible is what I'd call her.

• Wicked.Jester
    May 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I feel LESS sympathy for her knowing she is pregnant.  If she cannot raise ONE child properly she has no business getting knocked up again.

And I don't want to hear about BC failures.  You can double up, triple up, on methods....or you are intimate with your partner in ways other than sex.  Yep, we make choices....and if having sex could by any chance lead to me putting my kid up for adoption on craigslist I would NOT be having sex.  PERIOD.

She sounds like another irresponsible moron whose kids will pay the price.

She should get what she wants, her kids should be taken away.

• MrsApple
    May 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for her.If she TRULY wanted to find a loving,caring family for her child,there are many resources out there to help her.Call an adoption agency!I'm sure they would have helped her take the appropriate steps!

• elasmimi
    May 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I agree, except in most places there are places that can help. If nothing else, DHS.

Quoting Oceana09:

I think there should be programs out there to help mom's like this that feel overwhelmed and don't have any help. It's not fair to the kids. It sounds like she's trying to just find him a good home and no where in that article do I raed the words "For Sale" or "I needs someone to adopt him." It just says "I need someone to care for him." She says she's trying to adopt him out. This could have easily been an add to get information from an adoption agency because like she said "I have no idea where to start."

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    May 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Something seems odd about this, whether she is having children to sell them or what, and we don't know if she has had others that she also sold.  I feel sorry for her if she is just a lady who found herself in a bad situation and didn't know what to do about it.

• MrsCarnes88
    May 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Google, Bing ect if she was able to get online weather computer or phone she could search there are many online search engines all she had to do was choose one and enter adoption agencies in her area to me it sounds like she was getting rid of one kid before the next one came...

Quoting MrsApple:

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for her.If she TRULY wanted to find a loving,caring family for her child,there are many resources out there to help her.Call an adoption agency!I'm sure they would have helped her take the appropriate steps!

• lil_mama06
    May 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I have mixed emotions about this..I understand feeling overwhelmed and like I CAN'T DO THIS..But I have learned it works out..Then again she was doing what she felt she needed to do at the time..How many "mom's" (I hate to use that word,for these type people) end up killing their kids..I'd say the Will you take my child is a better route...

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN