The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
AlohaTink
Am I an alcoholic? Edit!
May 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.

Replies

• Momofmenagerie
    May 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    Why do you feel your nerves need calming that often?
  • funmommy123
    May 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    I don't think so. When my dh had 3 days off, we would drink & bbq on those 3 days. It wasn't a "must." Now tuat dh is working 2 jobs, he onl y get 1 day off & we only drjnk & bbq on that day.
  • KendallsMommee
    May 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    Psshhh.....If that makes you an alcoholic, I'm the town drunk...
  • Schauseil
    May 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    there are different types of alcoholics. Me, I don't feel the need to drink, but if its offered or if it is in the house, I can't say no.
  • AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    To be honest it's a combination of many things. I hate my job. I'm withdrawing from an anxiety medication. My ADHD/ODD son has regressed into the terrible something's (he's 6 and a 1/2). And when he's in bed and I'm looking at recipes or watching TV I like a little drink.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Why do you feel your nerves need calming that often?

• AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    Bump!
  • rosie211
    May 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I want to reply but I can't go anon........ 

You could be and so could I............

• AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

• Momofmenagerie
    May 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

• AlohaTink
    May 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    I didn't wean off under a doctors supervision.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN