AlohaTink
Am I an alcoholic? Edit!
May 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I've started drinking. Not just the occasional beer but about 4 times a week having a mixed drink with hard liquor. I say it's to calm my nerves. And it does. But as I send my husband out to get me a bottle before the liquor store closes (which is 10pm here in Tennessee), I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a "friend of Bill".

*ETA* so it seems y'all are split on exactly what "alcoholic" means. Apparently it was missed by some that this was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question. I do not believe I'm an alcoholic and I doubt I will ever be. And neither am I a functioning alcoholic. I have a glass of some sort of mixed drink (right now it's SoCo and sweet tea, love it!) at night after my day is done about 4 times a week. It's about 2 ounces of liquor and 4 ounces of sweet tea. Obviously that will not get me drunk. The point isn't to get drunk. Honestly I think the last time I was drunk was my birthday 2 years ago. Yikes. But I appreciate all y'all's comments....but if I came in randomly and didn't read everything....some people assumed I'm getting sloppy drunk every night! Wow.

Replies

• Momofmenagerie
    May 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    Why do you feel your nerves need calming that often?
  • funmommy123
    May 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    I don't think so. When my dh had 3 days off, we would drink & bbq on those 3 days. It wasn't a "must." Now tuat dh is working 2 jobs, he onl y get 1 day off & we only drjnk & bbq on that day.
  • KendallsMommee
    May 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    Psshhh.....If that makes you an alcoholic, I'm the town drunk...
  • Schauseil
    May 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    there are different types of alcoholics. Me, I don't feel the need to drink, but if its offered or if it is in the house, I can't say no.
  • AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    To be honest it's a combination of many things. I hate my job. I'm withdrawing from an anxiety medication. My ADHD/ODD son has regressed into the terrible something's (he's 6 and a 1/2). And when he's in bed and I'm looking at recipes or watching TV I like a little drink.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Why do you feel your nerves need calming that often?

• AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    Bump!
  • rosie211
    May 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I want to reply but I can't go anon........ 

You could be and so could I............

• AlohaTink
    May 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

• Momofmenagerie
    May 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211:

• AlohaTink
    May 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    I didn't wean off under a doctors supervision.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

That doesn't matter...sounds like it could become a problem. I'd talk to the psyche that's weaning you off meds. Meds are monitored, alcohol is not.

Quoting AlohaTink:

But I don't get drunk.

Quoting rosie211: