The CafeMom Newcomers Club

TableforSeven
I AM a grateful daughter-in-law....I AM a grateful daughter-in-law....
May 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Oh my goodness....I am ready to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are staying at IL's house while in the states for Dd#1's college graduation.  We arrived last Thursday night and aren't leaving until this coming Sunday.  MIL has always had issues with boundaries.....hy should I have thought this trip would be any different.  It isn't helping that DH, the boys and I are sleeping in the living room so we don't have a door to close for ANY privacy.  Our girls are staying up in DD's room so they have a LITTLE chance of having privacy (though MIL has been using us being here as an excuse to just barge into DD's room....which is driving DD nuts since it took her a few months after moving in here to get that to stop happening in the first place).

MIL also keeps inviting herself along when we want some family-time.  We haven't seen DD#1 since she visited us in March and I don't know when we will see her again because she starts working full-time shortly after we leave.  Yes, I understand that MIL hasn't seen the kids or DH since we moved last Sept (I was here for a visit in Dec...but stayed with my father most of my visit).....but that doesn't mean we need to spend every waking moment with her -- heck, she doesn't bother waiting until Weare awake...she has been coming in and waking us up just to "chat"!!!

I'm sure I am coming off as an ungrateful bitch...but, honestly, I am not.  I am very grateful to ILs for letting us stay here.  But I am sooooo at the end of my rope.  DH is even more frustrated than I am.  My father had offered for any/all of us to stay with him any time we want during this visit...he even has a spare bedroom that DH and I could sleep in....we wanted to stay here toe closer to DD....but, DH and I are going to take at least the boys and sleep over there tonight at least, we need a break from here. 

Anyway...I AM a grateful daughter-in-law -- I just need a little personal-space!

Replies

• WeirdScience
    May 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    Waking you up just to chat? Wow! Staying in a hotel room seems most appropriate.

In cases like this, I always wonder how some people manage themselves, throughout their lives, acting the way they do. I know that a lot of my bad habits have been burned away in the school of hard knocks- life.
  • TableforSeven
    May 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting WeirdScience:

Waking you up just to chat? Wow! Staying in a hotel room seems most appropriate.

In cases like this, I always wonder how some people manage themselves, throughout their lives, acting the way they do. I know that a lot of my bad habits have been burned away in the school of hard knocks- life.

Like I said....I am every grateful we have a place to stay without renting hotel rooms.  The airfare alone took just about everything we had to spend on this trip (6 tickets at nearly $1,000 each).  Family has made it clear that we can stay with them any time we visit.  When I was here alone in Dec - I stayed with family....but I stayed with my father most of the time.  I did spend a few nights here because DD and I were going to be doing late-night things and I didn't want to wake my dad by coming in at 1am.

We knew it was going to be hard here because we know how MIL is...but, honestly, she has been worse than we ever could have imagined!  I don't know how DH stayed sane growing up with her.....though FIL is nothing like her, so I guess that helped.  If FIL sees even one of the kids are in their PJs - he stays out of the living room unless invited in.

• cgarlic
    by cgarlic
    May 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    I can understand except we've been staying with my parents for over two years. We are finally moving this summer (yayyyyy). My mom says she will help with the kids because dh isn't here during week. I go to get a shower (like 10 mins), she stands outside the door with my 20 month old saying "knock where's mommy". It's so annoying.

You just have to keep thinking its just temporary. Good luck & congrats to ur DD on her accomplishment!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN