The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
LDavis33
How do these people keep their jobs?
May 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I worked in customer service and as an executive assistant for more years than I care to count before becoming a SAHM and would have been fired for the kinds of lazy-ass incompetance I have witnessed lately.

About a month ago I had a contractor come out and have a look at our house as we are thinking about doing some rather extensive renovations.  He said he would send me a quote within a week.  I have heard nothing since (despite leaving several voicemails).  Of course if he did contact me at this point, I would tell him to shove it.

I've also been trying to get someone out on a service call from my ISP.  They have two local dealers.  The first dealer made four different "appointments" (I use quotations because he didn't give me time only a date) and never showed or cancelled at the last minute.  The second dealer, after initially taking down all of my info, didn't call me back with an appointment and never returned my calls.  I called a third dealer who is willing to come out but because he is further away he is going to charge me 3x's as much as the first dealer!

Just getting someone to come out and pump out our septic tank takes a herculean effort (and at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone).

And don't get me started on our vehicle insurance provider (anyone who has ever had an accident in Manitoba will know exactly what I am talking about).

I make phone calls all of the time inquiring about appointments, events, etc. and 9 times out of 10 my calls are not returned.

My DH says it's because we live in a rural area and people out here do things differently.  Maybe there is some truth to this, but I say it's because they are a bunch of lazy morons who just don't get it!

Replies

• NDADanceMom
    May 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    I live in a rural area and ii find the opposite. I needed remodeling done last year and he was at my home within 2 days. He gave an estimate and the work was started the next week.
    I assumed it was because word spreads fast in a small town. Do a bad job once and everyone will know.
  • Bmat
    by Bmat
    May 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

It may be because you are rural, we are too, but you'd think a lighter population would get workers very happy for the chance to work. It is very poor PR for them. Maybe for you ISP you complain to someone higher up. Contractors are a different matter. We found one last year that is glad for the work and reliable. He isn't cheap, but after we told him if he wasn't going to come when arranged to please call and tell us so. If you find someone that will be reliable for you, ask them for references for other types of jobs, too, they may have the inside info on who keeps their word and who doesn't.

• mommytoeandb
    May 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Yup...some people must have a ton of business to have such poor customer service.  We had an issue with no shows when we had wood delivered.  We didn't call him back.  I ask around in the community for recommendations and call references for contractors (after asking around).  I am pretty vocal when I am pissed off by a company...seriously, how hard is it to return a phone call?   

• Dzyre1115
    May 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Other than contractors, I have never had a problem with service people, at all.

• BoxxyBabee
    May 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    I just moved to a rural area. We had a plumber fix our sink and he said "ill be back tomorrow" to fix our toilet (no time given). He never came back.
  • IansMommy2012
    May 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    we live in a rural area abd we have the same issue. ): I feel ya
  • Connie04
    May 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

My mom lives in a small town and she finds it very difficult to find service people.  My brother lives near by and he is constantly frustrated by the same kind of experience that you have had.  Maybe these people think they can afford to lose potential business because they've got more than they can handle?  I don't know, but I do agree that there is still a need for common courtesy.  Call people back, be on time, and if you can't accommodate someone, then tell them so they can cross you off their list.  BTW, I live in Saskatchewan. It's nice to hear from another prairie mom :-)!

• addykarder19
    May 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I agree with the small town business ethics.. I think the contractors in a smaller town are better. However, I work at a nursing home and granted it isn't not the best place to work and our CEO is an idiot but nonetheless it is a paycheck and the residents are great to work with. But we cannot seem to find any one who will hardly show up to work when scheduled let alone when they do show up they just want to sit around... I am only 24 but apparently my parents instilled a stronger work ethic in me than these other peoples parents did. They come up with the STUPIDEST excuses to call in or get out of doing work while there. But they still have a job, but if the "vetern's" were to pull this stuff we would all be fired. 

• sha_lyn68
    May 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Your problem with ISP service sounds like us trying to get someone out to cut down some trees. Had several no-shows for quotes. Out of 2 that showed up to give us a quote, neither one got back to us.

I've also stopped going to the dealer for oil changes. Service used to be good but lately I can't get through to even make an appointment

• tigerstripes12
    May 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

bad customer service... in my top three pet peeves!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN