The CafeMom Newcomers Club

shaunaleigh418
What is this?! *EDIT*
May 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM
What kind of bee is this? I thought it was a yellow jacket but when I compared the pictures, they look totally different. Can anyone help? They're building three hives outside my living room window right by my front door.

*EDIT* Just found two more starter hives outside the window of the girls' playroom. :/ The wasps were all huddled on them.

Replies

• shaunaleigh418
    May 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

• LoveyDucky
    May 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    It's a wasp. When the bee leaves knock down the hives. They are extremely aggressive. And will attack. I had four starter hives we just got rid of, this year is really bad about them....

The hives are a sticky/muddy/gum like texture, not hard so when you knock them down use something that you can clean off. And because we didn't know a lot about them we sprayed "raid" along the area they were building and they haven't been back, even though google says there are actual "wasp away" things you can buy... Raid worked fine for us...
  • shaunaleigh418
    May 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    There's always at least 4 bees there. And it's hard to get under the awning (sp?). I'm terrified to knock it down lol. There's a bigger hive attached to the house but it was hard to get a picture of because of the angle.

Quoting LoveyDucky:

It's a wasp. When the bee leaves knock down the hives. They are extremely aggressive. And will attack. I had four starter hives we just got rid of, this year is really bad about them....

The hives are a sticky/muddy/gum like texture, not hard so when you knock them down use something that you can clean off. And because we didn't know a lot about them we sprayed "raid" along the area they were building and they haven't been back, even though google says there are actual "wasp away" things you can buy... Raid worked fine for us...
  • RADmomma
    May 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Get wasp spray. It shots 30ft. Spray that at the hive when the wasps are coming out. Then when you're sure there's no more knock it down.

We have 3 mud wasp nests in my eves... Hubby is going to get them down this weekend!!
  • LoveyDucky
    May 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    If the hives get much bigger and fully populated (as soon as a queen moves in) they will start to attack you. They are vicious and can stink more than once. Seriously love you can hire a professional like hydrex pest control of you can do it yourself. But you NEED to get rid of them!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

There's always at least 4 bees there. And it's hard to get under the awning (sp?). I'm terrified to knock it down lol. There's a bigger hive attached to the house but it was hard to get a picture of because of the angle.

Quoting LoveyDucky:

• LoveyDucky
    May 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    If she sprays the wasps themselves they will attack. Maybe from 30 ft is she drenches them before they have a chance but its risky.... And she has a larger one that's already populating on the other side... Spray will keep them away but idk about how to kill the current ones.

Quoting RADmomma:

Get wasp spray. It shots 30ft. Spray that at the hive when the wasps are coming out. Then when you're sure there's no more knock it down.

We have 3 mud wasp nests in my eves... Hubby is going to get them down this weekend!!
  • friendlymom5
    May 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Wait tilll night then spray the daylights out of them. That is how we got rid of ours in our air conditioning box.

• TrouserMouse
    May 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    If you have any gasoline around, you can toss a cup on it and they drop dead instantly. Sounds crazy, but it works. It is what my dad always did.
  • shaunaleigh418
    May 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    Now I'm more scared! Lmao! I will be looking for pest control numbers.
  • RADmomma
    May 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    The stuff we have kills them on contact.

We live in the Maine woods. Bugs are everywhere.., and gross.

Quoting LoveyDucky:

If she sprays the wasps themselves they will attack. Maybe from 30 ft is she drenches them before they have a chance but its risky.... And she has a larger one that's already populating on the other side... Spray will keep them away but idk about how to kill the current ones.

Quoting RADmomma:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN