jomami
what do you think of a child having life insurance???
by jomami
May 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I have always ponderd whether or not I should get my children life insurance plans....I mean me and DH have them, but I cant imagine collecting a check on my kid dying.

Do you have one for your children???

What do you think of children life insurance????

Can someone please clarify what the Gerber life insurance plan actually is??????

Replies

• db1au
    by db1au
    May 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yes.  10,000 with gerber life.  If she died this would pay for a funeral.  Would you be able to pay funeral costs if your child died,  if not, you need life insurance for them.

• ladybuglove08
    May 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    My kids are included as a rider under mine & dh's policy. It would cover funeral expenses
  • Lovemyshadows
    May 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I of course had life insurance on them ( they are grown now).  Funerals start at around 10,000 dollars.  Just that little plot of ground is about $6000.

• Oceana09
    May 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

This is why my cousin was cremated. He died at 23 and no one had the money to pay for a proper burial for him. It took two years to get his headstone and from what I understand my aunt and uncle are still paying off the cremation.

Quoting db1au:

Yes.  10,000 with gerber life.  If she died this would pay for a funeral.  Would you be able to pay funeral costs if your child died,  if not, you need life insurance for them.

• calsmom62
    May 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Also, if you buy whole life, the child at 21 can continue the policy, and will pay dividends eventually, they can at some point cash it out or take a loan from it. Premiums are cheap for kids, too. It's not a perfect product, but as many have pointed out, it does pay for a funeral and if as they grow up they develop medical conditions that make them harder or impossible to insure, they have a policy in place
  • numonestunar
    May 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    We have ot on the kiddo. We have had it sincs he was born.
  • KellBell0820
    May 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    I have insurance through my work that covers my daughter. It's is not as much as my standard life insurance but would cover funeral costs with some left over. Hopefully I never have to use it.
  • Fields456
    May 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

We don't right now but I think a policy just big enough to cover funeral expenses isn't a bad idea 

• coolmommy2x
    May 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    We have it for both kids. If either develops any type of health issues, they'll be uninsurable. As long as payments are always made on these policies, they will always be covered.
  • jhcz
    by jhcz
    May 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I do my on my 2 living children through my Dh job. We lost a child and the policy was just enough for funeral expenses.