The CafeMom Newcomers Club

SerenityRose
New social security card after marriage??
May 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Has anyone done it by mail? What exactly do you send? The way I understand you can only send originals....I can't possibly send them my current license??
If I go into a local office what exactly do I need to take besides my current photo id and a copy of my marriage certificate?
TIA!!

Replies

• erinsmom1964
    May 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I don't know if you can do it by mail.  I took drivers license and marriage cert.

• SerenityRose
    May 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    Was wondering because I don't have a copy of my birth cert. and some people say I have to have it and others say no?? I need to call in the am and find out......just hope I can do it without my birth cert.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I don't know if you can do it by mail.  I took drivers license and marriage cert.

• momoftwo0406
    May 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    I just took my marriage lisence down to the SS office and got a print out with my new name then got my card like a week in a half later. I didn't do the mail because I didn't want to send my original ML.
  • DKk0531
    by DKk0531
    May 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    I did it by mail, but absoutely hated sending my drivers license in. Got it back within two days but i hated it.
    If you go in i believe you just need id and marriage cert..the closest office to us is about two hrs so thats why i didnt go in
  • DKk0531
    by DKk0531
    May 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    Oh and birth cert
  • momoftwo0406
    I didn't need mine. I just got married two months ago

Quoting SerenityRose:

Was wondering because I don't have a copy of my birth cert. and some people say I have to have it and others say no?? I need to call in the am and find out......just hope I can do it without my birth cert.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

• calsmom62
    I never changed mine. Kept my maiden name. Really avant garde 30 some yrs ago lol.
  • erinsmom1964
    May 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I definitely didn't bring a birth cert.  

Quoting SerenityRose:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

• erinsmom1964
    May 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card

says you can do it by mail and just send the certified copy of your marriage licesne i know we got 3-4 just so i would have them to deal with everyone.

• erinsmom1964
    May 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting DKk0531:

Oh and birth cert

no you don't need a birth cert.  i just did mine less than a yr ago and didn't need it

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN