The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
sherry132
I'm done with the Catholic Church
April 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail. I had such high hopes with this new Pope, and I was reading what he was saying, and it struck me, I really don't agree with the Church anymore. It's not my church, I'm not accepted. I was an unwed mother, I am divorced from my children's father, I use birth control and am on third marriage. I don't fit in a world where perfection is a must, where sex is merely the point of procreation. 

It's been a long journey for me, one that I've struggled with for a long time. I don't hate the church, or think that it is even bad. It's just not for me anymore.

So this weekend, my 18 year old daughter, has invited me to her church. I think I'll go, see if I'm accepted there and if I can accept the teachings there. I believe in God, always have and always will. I want that closeness and family feeling that your supposed to get from a church. She seems to have found it and I'd like to be a part of her beliefs and her love of God. 

I never forced religion on my kids. I was Catholic, but they were people who needed to find their own way. My son is a very devout Catholic at only 14. He strongly believes in the church and I will not begrudge him that. My daughter shed the church around the same age and more recently went in search of her own place. For a while she was practicing the Pagan religion, she also went through the questioning phase and claimed Atheism. She's still young and I think that all of that was a healthy way to examine herself. 

It feels good to finally let go. Not to feel dirty anymore, or as a pariah. I don't know why I'm posting this, perhaps just because I wanted to share. Perhaps because I needed to write it out. Whatever the reason, there it is. Have a wonderful day. 

Replies

• Texascandee
    April 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I understand you completely.  I was raised in a strict Catholic home and went my first 3 yrs to a parochial school at out church.  As I got older, i would begin to see things that I didn't like.  Of course I didn't agree with no divorce or bc because I was on bc.   I also noticed when you walked into church, people in the front row, the snobs, would turn to see what you were wearing then talk about you.

I was married to a Pentecostal preacher's son and that was a joke.  I went once and never went back.  I've tried Baptist and Methodist churches and have found the Baptist are the most friendly and welcoming.

jmo but I think the Catholic's are a bunch of snobs and the same ones I saw in the front pews of the church are the same ones I saw in the bar on Sat. night

• SoKamele
    April 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Well....we Baptist like everyone....at least where I'm at.

I'm sorry that you were treated that way.

• RADmomma
    April 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    I'm a non believer. I hope you find what you're looking for at your new church.
  • mommyshere
    April 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM

The Catholic Church really needs to get with the times or they're going to lose even more followers.

• kss12
    by kss12
    April 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Catholicism is extremely ridiculous and contradictory in many ways. I grew up catholic, going to catholic schools, the whole 9. I believe in god and I pray, but I don't bend over backwards to ensure all catholic beliefs are met.
    My grandma told me this and it stuck with me.. You don't have to go to church daily, weekly or monthly in order to show god that you love him. He sees you all the time, whether you step into a building that honors him or not. He sees your actions every day, so be a good person, check in and pray when you can, and believe in him. He's 100% in my life and has blessed me with a lot of amazing things and I know he's looking out for my family and I, but I haven't gone to church in quite some time and I don't always pray and read the bible.
  • coolmommy2x
    April 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    It must be hard to walk away from what you know...I applaud you for doing what you feel is right. Good luck!
  • JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    April 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    I understand and felt that way a long time ago. I left the Catholic Church and I am now a Baptist.

Loving The Lord feels a whole lot better now. I feel I'm in the right path.

I hope you find the same in your journey.

Quoting sherry132:

I've been Catholic all of my life, though I've wandered from time to time in search of something that I fit into, but to no avail. I had such high hopes with this new Pope, and I was reading what he was saying, and it struck me, I really don't agree with the Church anymore. It's not my church, I'm not accepted. I was an unwed mother, I am divorced from my children's father, I use birth control and am on third marriage. I don't fit in a world where perfection is a must, where sex is merely the point of procreation. 

It's been a long journey for me, one that I've struggled with for a long time. I don't hate the church, or think that it is even bad. It's just not for me anymore.

So this weekend, my 18 year old daughter, has invited me to her church. I think I'll go, see if I'm accepted there and if I can accept the teachings there. I believe in God, always have and always will. I want that closeness and family feeling that your supposed to get from a church. She seems to have found it and I'd like to be a part of her beliefs and her love of God. 

I never forced religion on my kids. I was Catholic, but they were people who needed to find their own way. My son is a very devout Catholic at only 14. He strongly believes in the church and I will not begrudge him that. My daughter shed the church around the same age and more recently went in search of her own place. For a while she was practicing the Pagan religion, she also went through the questioning phase and claimed Atheism. She's still young and I think that all of that was a healthy way to examine herself. 

It feels good to finally let go. Not to feel dirty anymore, or as a pariah. I don't know why I'm posting this, perhaps just because I wanted to share. Perhaps because I needed to write it out. Whatever the reason, there it is. Have a wonderful day. 

• frndlyfn
    April 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Good luck. I am sure there is a church there that will be more open to your circumstances than the catholic church in general. 

• mustbeGRACE
    April 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I have problems with the Catholic Church only because of doctorinal issues.

I'm a Baptist. I go to church to see how Christ feels about the issues, not to see if I approve of His position on the issues.

Overall,  I feel that Christ has a standard that believers should aspire to.

• connie45
    April 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    I was raised catholic, went to 13 yes of catholic school, now my girls are in catholic school. But Iam a "cafeteria catholic" as I, believe many many and Im good with that.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN