The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
connorsmom2009
Government assistance...
April 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Do u think people should use government assistance just because they qualify... Even if they don't need it or use a break in the budget? 

Im not sure how I feel 

Replies

• LucyHarper
    April 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

If they don't need it, they shouldn't take it. I qualify for some types of government assistance because of our income and the number of kids in our house, but we don't take it because we live a lifestyle where we simply don't need it, we don't have trouble making ends meet and taking care of our kids, we live in a house in a nice neighborhood that simply doesn't cost much and the kids have clothes, food, extra curriculars, etc., we don't have many big expenses outside of normal bills, so we don't take it, that would be taking tax money away from those who really do need it. 

• mehaffiesub
    April 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Um Im undecided cause it depends on the family and their reasons.
  • KendallsMommee
    April 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Absolutely not.
  • honey27
    by honey27
    April 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    If they qualify they probably need it.
  • beadingmom17
    April 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    I think if someone needs the help, they should take it, but if you're making it on your own, don't take the help from someone else. According to the government, we are low income and we qualify for all kinds of assistance, but while we don't live high on the hog, we make it on our own. Some months are tighter than others, but it could be so much worse.
  • connorsmom2009
    April 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM

BUMP!

• TableforSeven
    April 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Nope.  I dont think anyone should use assistance unless they actually NEED it...and they should get off of it as soon as things improve.  It is called "assistance" because it is there to assist people in need.....it isn't called "let the government support you just because you can".

There have been times when we qualified for government assistance programs -- but we did NOT take any because we were able to manage on our own.  Sure, things would have been _easier_ if we took it...but we didn't NEED it, so we didn't take it.  There have also been short periods were we did, honestly, NEED some help...and we used the appropriate programs -- but got off of them as soon as things improved for us.

• ditsyjo
    by ditsyjo
    April 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM

me neither...to qualify you have to be pretty low income... so if you qualify and you don't really need it you could probably still use a boost you know but...so many people abuse the system...i just don't know

• trainlady
    April 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM

If they use it and don't really need it then they are taking away from those that really do need it and that's simply unfair to those in real need. I know a lot of people on disability that don't deserve it and others who need it desperately and can't get it.

• littlelamb303
    April 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I believe they need to make changes in all the welfare programs.  I am all for helping those who fell on bad times, etc.. but I do believe there is a lot of abuse, as with SSI.  My BIL has taken SSI for his entire life because he claims he cannot work . He has anxiety issues and poor social skills, but running away from the problem and collecting welfare is not the answer IMO. He gets cash assistance, FS and medical.   I live with someone that has serious mental and anxiety issues, but that never stopped him from working in a well paying job.  He is on meds to help with that.  I think too many people have TOO MANY excuses as to why they cannot work. 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN