The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
myranda2317
need advice I have a blind baby
April 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I'm 19 and have 2 kids. Yes I no that is young. I love my kids more than anything and take good care of them. My 1 year old daughter is blind. I don't know what to do or how to Handel it. I've become very depressed. Please help with giving me advice.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    April 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Was she born blind or became blind recently?   There are so many resources now for this to help children become more independant.   Her doctor should know of resources that can help you cope with it as well as how to get your child involved in therapies she will use for her whole lifetime.

• terpmama
    April 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I would also recommend seeking out other blind folks to have friends who have been there

• myranda2317
    April 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    She was born blind. They think she might be able to see something. She has only 20% of her optic nerves. They say surgery is out of the question. I don't like the doctor I have to find her a new one. It's just very hard to do that when I have a new born as well. We are in something called help me grow but they don't really help out
  • kidlover2
    April 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    http://www.blindchildren.org/edu_dev/

I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky. It looked informative and helpful. Do you have any kind of support system? Friends, family, church? I'm not personally knowledgable about your situation. I hope you the best :)
  • frndlyfn
    April 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM

What are you expecting them to do and what are they doing?  For a one year old luckily exploration is almost all through touch and sound with some visual of course.  Almost any book for this age has texture to it so those would be something to look into buying for both children.

Quoting myranda2317:

She was born blind. They think she might be able to see something. She has only 20% of her optic nerves. They say surgery is out of the question. I don't like the doctor I have to find her a new one. It's just very hard to do that when I have a new born as well. We are in something called help me grow but they don't really help out

• myranda2317
    April 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    I have a good support system sometimes my fiance works 3rd shift so I'm pretty much by myself. And any tips on how to help her crawl?
  • frndlyfn
    April 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM

If she is able to get into the crawling position, be in front of her with a noisy rattle type toy to help guide her forward.  Tell her to follow the noise.  This could take awhile for her to catch on but it should help.

Quoting myranda2317:

I have a good support system sometimes my fiance works 3rd shift so I'm pretty much by myself. And any tips on how to help her crawl?

• myranda2317
    April 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    I guess I just want more answers and help. Every time we go to the eye doctor he pulls out his phone and has her try to look at a black and white stripped moving app. He puts it directly in her face and says oh I think she can see something. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to get her to crawl and walk. But they never give me ideas to help that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are you expecting them to do and what are they doing?  For a one year old luckily exploration is almost all through touch and sound with some visual of course.  Almost any book for this age has texture to it so those would be something to look into buying for both children.

Quoting myranda2317:

• frndlyfn
    April 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I think you need an early intervention team for PT, OT and all that stuff but not sure if they work with 1 yr olds.   Even those will full sight can be late walkers as late as 2-3 years old.  Hold on to her hands and see if she can walk that way.  There are the exersaucers that she can stand in as well to get used to that position.   A childrens physical therapist would be best bet for walking/crawling.

Quoting myranda2317:

I guess I just want more answers and help. Every time we go to the eye doctor he pulls out his phone and has her try to look at a black and white stripped moving app. He puts it directly in her face and says oh I think she can see something. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to get her to crawl and walk. But they never give me ideas to help that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting myranda2317:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts