The CafeMom Newcomers Club

stepfordwife30
Putting your toddler on a diet
April 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am going to be in the care of my niece for a while. She is very overweight. No health conditions but shes given candy for good behavior, and eats mostly fast food, in addition to that she eats serving sizes larger than me. I haven't really dealt with this so I need advice. Would it be bad if I reduced her serving sizes to a typical toddler sizes, or would that be starving her? She is accustomed to about 2 burgers, fries, and soda. Would it be bad if I fed her like I feed my two year old in an effort to adjust her serving sizes, even if she says shes still hungry? Or can this harm her in some way? Or should I slowly reduce the meal size, or should I just continue to feed her just as much but make it organic, and fruits and veggies like we eat? She is almost 3.

Thanks everyone! I'm Gonna try the fruit, water and exercise with a normal  2 year old servings.

Replies

• jjchick75
    April 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I would slowly decresase the size of her portions. Biggest thing is going to be changing what she eats. Fruits, veggies, leans meats, and water to drink is best. 

• Seagodess
    April 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I would do it slowly. Its going to be hard changing what she eats. She will probably throw fits and possibly not even eat some of here meals. I think its great that you want to help her.

• mommyof11050307
    April 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Talk to her dr before you start her on anything.
  • hollinicole
    April 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Slow is better. Add fruits and veggies and water to her meal. Maybe you can call and talk with her ped or even your for extra advice
  • beadingmom17
    April 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    I think mostly the change in what she's eating will help. If you keep fruits and veggies available to snack on, along with water, she will probably never even miss the junk or smaller portion sizes at meals.

And omg...2 burgers, fries, and a pop?! Even I can't eat that much...I'm very overweight, myself!
  • nelliesmommy
    April 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    I would decrease it slowely.
  • alf2651
    by alf2651
    April 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I would decrease it slowly, as well as talk to her doctor about this.

• silverdawn99
    April 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM

give her typical toddler portions and healthy snacks in between

let her fill up on carrots broccoli and stuff like that

• honey27
    by honey27
    April 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

i have a niece the same way but older and she eats like a grown man. i would give her healthier foods so if she wants to over eat she can get full off of fruits and veggies.

• frndlyfn
    April 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I agree with the others.  Not a diet per se but just a healthier lifestyle in general.  Lots of water to drink should help the hunger urge.   Fresh veggies for snacks.  Whole grains for breads/pastas, etc.  Also make sure they get plenty of outdoor activity time to help burn energy and calories. 

You did not say how old niece was so if she is older than a toddler, you need to offer the appropriate portions for her age.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts