NannyPro12
Am I wrong for being upset?
April 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I am a 24 year old nanny with 6 years of infant/toddler experience. I have worked with twin infants for 2 years, then 2 families after. I really love my job( don't do it for $). I started a new job with 2 families for a nanny share. One boy is 4 months and the easiest, happier little guy. The other is 13wks and has colic+ acid reflux. I started with them this week and the first day the 13 wk old refused to eat or nap and the mom got upset and she took him home. Rest if the day with other baby was great! The other 2 days was at the 13wk olds place.

The mom was very up in my space. Her son has never been left alone and cries for everything. You have to hold him 24/7. When I try to give attention to the other baby, her son starts screaming and she tells me to tend to her son and the other will be fine. He only gets attention when he eats or has to be out down. He was crying and I was consoling him and the 13wk old woke up fussing. I was waiting to put baby A down but not even a minute later, the mom comes in, picks him up and starts belittling me.

Today I brought up my concerns with the mother of baby b. She sounded so supportive. 20 mins later mom of baby a calls me to talk. Tells me here is pay for thr week and it's boy working out. She said baby bs mom forwarded her the email and will send her check in the mail. She said I was unprofessional and incompetent working with 2 babies. I told her that I was suppose to talk to the moms separately about concerns( stated in contract).

I am beyond upset. Everytime I tended the other baby, baby A mom would be upset( even if her child was upset). I went to baby b mom and she didn't look at my concerns and sided with the other mom. Her husband had to take meetings in his car because baby A was inconsolable. I thought they would understand but totally went behind my back. Do I have a right to be upset?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    April 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I think you need to either focus on one baby  or find new families that understand the type of job you are doing.

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    April 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I understand that you might be upset and why but honestly think that the situation was not going to work out and it's best that it ended before you had wasted too much time with it. It sounds as though the mothers were not able to handle the situation and the mother of baby b may well have some issues with leaving the baby to the care of someone else.

• NannyPro12
    April 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    What I can't phantom is why Baby B( happy baby) mom( who pays more) would be comfortable with her son getting no attention. I wouldn't be ok with that or Mom A for requesting the nanny to show more attention to her baby rather than both. I was going to give my notice but they abruptly let me go.
  • nellyb118
    April 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    Sounds like they did you a favor, because mom A sounds impossible to please. With a high needs baby like that she either needs a nanny dedicated to him only or to do it herself.
  • NannyPro12
    April 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    I told her that I believe he needed one on one care and she told me they were dedicated to a share( I think they can't afford a nanny on their own). What upsets me the most is we had a contract and I was suppose to talk to each individually about their child and if they had any issues, they would address me together. Mom A already had the cash( we agreed checks) so I believe they planned it. Anyways instead of addressing me, Mom b went behind my back and told mom a.

I'm glad I dont work for them. If they can't show me the same respect then I shouldn't be with me. Also Mom A was talking about me to her friend, I overheard her.
  • NannyPro12
    April 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    Also mom A( high needs baby) told me that I shouldnt dress how I do. I wore jeans and a t shirt( not low cut). Her husband was looking at me( made me uncomfortable) and then she told me I shouldnt wear revealing clothing. I'm like WTH?
  • frndlyfn
    April 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I am trying to figure out why they needed a nanny if they were in the house themselves.  I was a nanny for the summer 10 years ago for a 2 yr old boy and his mom was out of the house the whole time.  I could not imagine being in your spot trying to please 2 women at once with their very young babies.

• xixCandyxix
    April 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Ok so if they had a contract and broke it, you can take them to court for breach of contract. Right or wrong?

• NannyPro12
    April 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Wrong. Termination can have no notice. My bf is a lawyer and said he can find ways but I don't care to take them to court.

@frndylfn: Mom A works from home. The share would have been at Mom B home but her husband( who works from home) had important clients coming in so we did it at Mom A house
  • Thelmama
    April 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Sounds like you escaped a bad situation. Thank your lucky stars.  I would be upset but I think I'd be more relieved to get out of such a bad situation.