The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
jjlwallace
overnight camps
April 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM
What age do you feel a child can go to an overnight week long sports camp. How young is to young and why. Not close to where you live. How do you know if your child is ready for an overnight cAmp

Replies

• matofour
    April 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Depends on the child, depends on the adult.
    We are thinkin of sending our eight year old for a week of sleep away camp. She's begging to go. We just did a weekend at this same camp, it's a y. We went there with Girl Scouts. The staff was amazing, the camp beautiful. It's 30 minutes away, so I can get there easily.
    I am pretty sure we are going to let her
    Do a week. She is thrilled at the thought!
  • frndlyfn
    April 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I would say 11/12 for a sports camp.  Just due usual maturity levels and it is a good time to test independence from parents..  Under that age I feel they could get more scared or not be able to complete daily living skills 100% correctly.   To my knowledge there are no over night camps here but alot of day camps in summer.

• frndlyfn
    April 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM

BUMP!

• Rlmama00
    April 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I have a 10 year old that my dh wants to send to sleep away camp this summer but I just do not feel that he is ready.  Anything can happen over the next year or so and he could be fine, but right now would not be a good idea for him.  But, I do think that some children are ready around 8 or 9.  It really depends on the individual child and the circumstances.

• taniamorse85
    April 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I went to an overnight, week-long camp starting at age 11.  It was a couple hundred miles away from home.  I think that was the right age for me, but some kids may not have the maturity level at that age.  Some may have it earlier than that, though.  Maybe, if there is one, you could do a day camp as a test to see if your child is ready to try a longer one.

• neyney_nancy
    April 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

My went camping & snorkling at the Catalina Island in 3rd grade (school education field trip). And he camped in the mountain for 4 nights & 5 days in 5th grade (another edu field trip). 

• RheaF
    by RheaF
    April 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

DD was 6 1/2 when she went to hr first overnight mini camp last summer. She is mature for her age and was able to go. The rule at camp was they had to complete first grade.

• Arwyn724
    April 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I think 8-9 is good, but it depends on the child, obviously.  My nephews went to week long sports camps all their lives, my daughters only went to week-end overnights with 4H.  But my oldest went to England, Italy, France & Greece at age 13 with a student group.

• spunky946
    April 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    My ds will be 9 this summer and is going to camp for 11 days
  • calsmom62
    April 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    I think 8 or
    9 but its so dependent on kid and parent. I've been a camper, counselor and parent of campers. Some kids are ready even though mom isn't, and some moms are ready and pushing but kid isn't ready. Do you have successful sleepovers at other kids homes and don't get middle of the night calls or early morning come get me before breakfast calls?? Can your child manage their own belongings?

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts