The CafeMom Newcomers Club

MamaCarterof5
Am I THAT out of touch with reality?!
March 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I have been homeschooling my kids for 2 years now and we typically converse with friends with kids and other homeschooler families. I get it that we miss a lot of the trends kids go through because we aren't around it.

This afternoon one of my 9 year old daughters was outside playing with one of her little brothers. A kid who she'd met in public school that lives 2 blocks away road up on his bike and started cursing at her and my son right in front of me. He dropped the F bomb, a several other choice words. The thing is, we have been so nice to this kid. True, we havent seen him all winter- but last summer and fall he'd ride his bike over and often eat dinner with our family when we'd grill out. So I say to this kid "HEY, YOU need to watch your language or I am calling your MOM"- he goes, "I dont give a f***, call her!" (he is NINE by the way)So, I get the gets up to call her. She isnt home but her husband is so I calmly tell him what just had happened and he says, "its not like the kids havent heard those words before." I go, "Well I just thought you'd want to know he was saying those things" and his Dad hung up on me.

So. I told a friend about it and she said it happens ALL THE TIME. She said her 11 year old son did something similar and she grounded him and that the kids in her neighborhood do things like that often. 

I am in shock. Is it really so common for 9, 10 11 year old kids to be using this kind of language!? I admit, when I was like 12 or 13 I remember thinking it was cool to say certain curse words but ONLY around my friends and never EVER to an adult.

My friend said since we homeschool, its likely we are just out of touch with certain realities. I'm like, seriously!? seriously!? I guess its one thing I'm glad I'm out of touch with if it really is a reality- because thats just craziness to me.

So, is it so common to hear that language these days out of the mouths of tweens?!

Replies

• jojo_star
    March 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

My children are 11, 14, 15, and 16. I'm sure they curse occasionally, but they know better than to swear at home, or anywhere in front of my husband or myself. They were raised to be respectful of others, and they are. And my children go to public school. But, it is normal to hear that kind of language. Our 6 year old neighbor girl has told her dog to F*** off when he was chasing her in the yard. 

• MamaCarterof5
    March 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Quoting jojo_star:

My children are 11, 14, 15, and 16. I'm sure they curse occasionally, but they know better than to swear at home, or anywhere in front of my husband or myself. They were raised to be respectful of others, and they are. And my children go to public school. But, it is normal to hear that kind of language. Our 6 year old neighbor girl has told her dog to F*** off when he was chasing her in the yard. 

Geez, that is just crazy to me!? 

Bad parenting? I mean, who do you blame that on? The kids? What kind of 6 year old says F off!?

• jojo_star
    March 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

Quoting jojo_star:

Bad parenting? I mean, who do you blame that on? The kids? What kind of 6 year old says F off!?

It is crazy. I have to say, I was speechless! I think it's a combination of things, mainly bad parenting, but also just lack of parenting, and the kind of material children are allowed to watch these days. In my experience, and maybe I'm just old fashioned, though since I'm 25, I don't think that's it, but it seems like parents are just so lax in nearly every respect of parenting. It breaks my heart for the kids, because they are the ones that suffer. 

• Pink.Frosting
    March 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM

We homeschool too.  We've been doing it for almost 10 years now.  I have learned that there are some "realities" that I am so glad we are out of touch with and I make no apologies for it!

• RADmomma
    March 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    I would flip my lid if my dd was talking like that at 9.
  • mom23heathens
    March 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM

My youngest is the only one still living at home. She's 10 and has never uttered a foul word. My husband is the reason the phrase "Cuss like a truck driver" was started. He's 58 and literally every other word out of his mouth is bad. My daughter knows this and hates it. But i always thought it odd that she never picked it up, as if she came pre wired not to. So no, I don't think you have been living under a rock and out of touch with reality. It's still unacceptable and sadly there are a few sorry parents that have become desensitized.

• MamaCarterof5
    March 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Growing up my parents taught us to be respectful, yes, but moreso my mom emphasized that people who talked that way without regard to who was around them were usually trashy people. So, bearing that in mind- I wasn't just worried about being respectful, rather, I was scared someone would think I was trashy lol!

• mom23heathens
    March 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

Quoting jojo_star:

It is crazy. I have to say, I was speechless! I think it's a combination of things, mainly bad parenting, but also just lack of parenting, and the kind of material children are allowed to watch these days. In my experience, and maybe I'm just old fashioned, though since I'm 25, I don't think that's it, but it seems like parents are just so lax in nearly every respect of parenting. It breaks my heart for the kids, because they are the ones that suffer. 

It's a domino effect. It just takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel. One parents allows it and all the friends of that child are exposed. Then the parents of those kids have to deal with it.

• frndlyfn
    March 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It doesnt happen to much in our area that i have noticed.   We have had older children in their teens apologize to us when they noticed dd was listening to their conversation.  I was always taught it was trashy or a sign of dumbness if you used those words since there are a million others that could fit in that sentence without being vulgar.

• MamaCarterof5
    March 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

It doesnt happen to much in our area that i have noticed.   We have had older children in their teens apologize to us when they noticed dd was listening to their conversation.  I was always taught it was trashy or a sign of dumbness if you used those words since there are a million others that could fit in that sentence without being vulgar.

right- exactly! 

There are times when we are out with the kids and someone is being overly loud and cursing for no apparent reason within earshot of everyone around them and all I can do is look and them and think... what an idiot. 

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN