The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
cassiewal
need help with my girls!
March 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. They are both picky (in their own way) about what they wear and what they eat. Can someone give me advice on how to make mornings and dinner easier? Thanks.

Replies

• Nickie76
    March 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Fill a breakfast bin of healthy choices and have them choose... Same w/ clothing. Pick 3 outfits a piece and let them have control and they will be less picky. I have 7 kids 3 daughters it works! :)
  • ChloeDolce1
    March 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Let them make some chides. Put out 2 outfits and let them pick which one. Or. Set up there closets with prepicked matching outfits. So no matter what they choose at least it all goes together Abd they feel like they made a choice. Same with breakfast and lunch ( dinner my kids eat whatever I serve no exceptions). Ill ask if they want yogurt and fruit or oatmeal for example. They can pick. If they want something else that I'm not prepared to do then. Oh we'll these are your choices. You want them to be happy and feel like they have options but at the end of the day you are still in charge.
  • cassiewal
    March 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Omg seriously 7 kids? Wow we need to stay in touch, I bet you have some great stories and ideas! Lol my girls want to wear the same clothes every day, its frustrating to me and its a fight EVERY morning. As for breakfast that one is easy because they get rid pick but dinner is a bit h! Unless I make tacos every night there's a fight. But they will eat the same thing I make at someone else's house just not if I make it. Any ideas there? I will try the clothes thing in a couple mins because I've got to get my 2nd daughter dressed for her school in a few mins. Thank you so much!
  • cassiewal
    March 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    I let them pick breakfast and lunch. My oldest packs her own lunch and then I look it over to approve of what she's packed but when dinner comes around I choose. I let them pick out one dinner a week at least. I map out our dinners for the week and they usually help me but when I make something they didn't pick its a fight.
  • ChloeDolce1
    March 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    I have a great alternate to tacos if that's what they like for a change. Taco cupcakes. You make a mixture if ground meat and black beans. Then take wonton wrapper and push it in a cupcake pan. Put a little meat then cheese. Another layer of wonton. Meat and cheese. Salsa if you wish. Bake in the oven for about 20 mins. Top with sour cream lettuce whatever they like. I serve it with salad. My kids go nuts. Because they look like little cupcakes.

Quoting cassiewal:

Omg seriously 7 kids? Wow we need to stay in touch, I bet you have some great stories and ideas! Lol my girls want to wear the same clothes every day, its frustrating to me and its a fight EVERY morning. As for breakfast that one is easy because they get rid pick but dinner is a bit h! Unless I make tacos every night there's a fight. But they will eat the same thing I make at someone else's house just not if I make it. Any ideas there? I will try the clothes thing in a couple mins because I've got to get my 2nd daughter dressed for her school in a few mins. Thank you so much!

• ChloeDolce1
    March 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    I make little lasagnas like this too btw. Wonton wrap meat sauce and ricotta another layer and top with mozzarella. I also make little meatloafs on the cupcake tin. Kids live anything mini I have learned lol

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

I have a great alternate to tacos if that's what they like for a change. Taco cupcakes. You make a mixture if ground meat and black beans. Then take wonton wrapper and push it in a cupcake pan. Put a little meat then cheese. Another layer of wonton. Meat and cheese. Salsa if you wish. Bake in the oven for about 20 mins. Top with sour cream lettuce whatever they like. I serve it with salad. My kids go nuts. Because they look like little cupcakes.

Quoting cassiewal:

• cassiewal
    March 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    Wow those are great ideas!!! They might eat more too!Lol iI always wonder if I'm serving them too much food and that's why they DONT eat all their dinner.
  • starlight91
    March 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

When my girls started this picky eating crap, my dh told them "This is not Burger King, you dont get what you want,you eat what is made or you dont eat at all."    Worked for many years. If they are just leaving a little bit of everything on their plate, dont worry about it, its actually better not to "eat the plate clean" .

Now many yrs later as teens, they have so much going on and we all have different schedules, they love being home for a home cooked meal, will even ask for something. Like :    Hey mom,  I got nothing going on , on Tuesday night any chance of Lasagna??lol

• cassiewal
    March 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yeah I'm more like you. My mom used to make a special meal for everyone for dinner!! Yeah that's not me. If I'm gonna bust my butt making one dinner, there's no way I'm doing 4!! lol

• frndlyfn
    March 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM

What are their serving sizes?  For these ages their sizes should be at maximum half your portion size.   My dd is ultra picky and we brought it up to the school therapist for ideas. We are just glad she loves fresh fruit like cantaloupe and apples.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts