The CafeMom Newcomers Club

jjsgranny
Hi Everyone
March 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

My name is Pat, onscreen name jjsgranny,  My husband and I are raising our now 10 year old grandson whom we have had since he was a year old.  He has ADHD and mood disorders and was recently diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified and Disorder of Written Expression.  I joined CafeMom to find support groups for this form of Autism Spectrum Disorder and to get some of my many questions answered.  I have scoured the Web but it is hard to find support groups for this form of Autism Spectrum.  I have joined several of the Autism Support groups on this site,  Thanks for allowing me to join.

Replies

• funhappymom
    March 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'm sorry, I don't have a child with autism-though I have a friend who has two sons on the spectrum. Here's a bump for you.

• jobberwocky
    March 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    Welcome to cafemom. What a wonderful thing you are doing raising your grandson. I hope you can find the support you need for your grandsons specific problems!
  • bamababe1975
    March 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Hi! Welcome to the group! It's really nice to meet you.

Have you joined this one:

• hugss
    by hugss
    March 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Welcome to CafeMom Pat,
    You're doing a great thing raising your grand child like that!
    Very nice to meet you :)

• jjsgranny
    March 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome and all the suggestions.  At times I feel like I am floating in an ocean on a raft with no paddles.  PPD-NOS is a relatively new diagnosis for the Autism Spectrum Disorder and there are few support groups out there.  Again thanks.

• Caitlin10081989
    March 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Welcome to the group. 

• elasmimi
    March 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Hi Pat, I'm Nancy. I don't have a child with autism, but I have a friend who is an special ed teacher who specializes in autism. And I raised a grandchild myself, and am now raising her daughter, my great grandchild. I know how overwhelming just doing that can be. You have found a great place for at least getting moral support.hugs

• ScrChk23
    March 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Welcome!!!  My sister in law does a lot of work with autistic children.  Let me know if you would like her email.  I will double check with her that I can share it. 

• ScrChk23
    March 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Any pics of him?  (Mainly because I'm nosey and I know that we all like to see pics of kids).

• LancesMom
    March 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Welcome to the group Pat! There is an awesome Autism group on CafeMom! Hope you are able to find all the help you need!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN