The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
bebe_ju-rah
DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED
February 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol

Replies

• lismore
    by lismore
    February 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    No she doesn't
  • kaylasmom22
    February 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    lol dd is 6 also 47 inches and 56 pounds and all you see is bones on her. They are tall for their age that's what some doctors don't understand. DD' pedi told me she is fine
  • BabyGsMommy11
    February 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

***Let me clarify since 30 people have gotten their panties in a wad over this statement. A pound is a pound period, but when speaking about fat vs. muscle - a tablespoon of fat weighs less than a tablespoon of muscle. I should have explained it refering to density instead of weight. My bad CM, my bad.***

Needless to say - she is very muscular. She is not fat.
  • indymom72
    February 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

honestly, I can't believe people still even take those stupid charts into account.  Your daughter looks healthy and strong and in amazing shape.

• ambermarie2006
    February 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    My oldest is in cheer, dance, and soccer and still cannot get her BMI down. Doctor has tried her on diets to get it down, but it doesn't seem to help. I do not think your daughter looks overweight by any means.
  • lovemysnugbugs
    February 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    She looks muscular, not fat.
  • bebe_ju-rah
    February 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    That's what I was thinking...but shouldn't someone with a Doctorate know this??

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).
  • redneckmama2
    February 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

She is muscle. Those BMI calculators are stupid and no where near accurate. 

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    February 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Lol hate for her to see my 50lb 4yo lmao.
  • TheMrs407
    February 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    She's muscular. If your doctor can't make noticeable exceptions I would find a new doctor.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN