The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
kaylasmom22
If your child is bipolar,has mental issues or any other diagnosis?EDIT
February 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

When were they diagnose? did you notice something different on your child from day one? how are you handling their daily life?

Thank you moms who have answered and told me a bit about your life. I stand by my opinion you are all amazing cause kids in general are hard to deal with. You need the patience of a angel to deal with a kid with disabilities. And thats what you are to me angels.I know lots of you have used medication as last resort and your kids have gone through extensive treatments before getting a diagnosis. But its scary how much mental illness is around now a days. Ounce again moms thank you and God bless the great work you do.

FYI: DD is does not have issues, im just asking is all.

Replies

• kaylasmom22
    February 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    bump
  • Hethrjo
    by Hethrjo
    February 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM

BUMP!

• Hethrjo
    by Hethrjo
    February 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My SD has R.A.D.  It's a very hard situation.  She was just diagnosed and she's 8 years old.  Our counselor wants us to have her evaluated because she thinks she may have something else.  Her biological mother's bipolar, so there's that chance.  It's a very hard situation in our lives but I'm determined to work with her and help her understand herself, just as much as I need to understand her.  Compassion is the best tool you'll have.  I have this book that I just bought, our counselor told me it helped her A LOT and it's helping me sooooo much.  It's called "The Connected Child"  BUY IT!!!!!!!!

• Hethrjo
    by Hethrjo
    February 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

You can order it off of Amazon for like 10$.  I forgot to answer the second part of your question, but I think that for every child that it will be different on how you handle it.  With our situation, my daughter can't really handle a lot of being away from me.  She has major trust issues and she pushes me away when I try to help, so it's a challenge.  I've found that if she really knows how to push my buttons and if she gets the reaction out of me that she wants (she wants me to hurt-just as much as she hurts)  then she's won but we get no where.  I have grown A LOT from this.  It takes a lot out of you when you don't have someone to share with or you just don't know how to handle it.  I'd recommend counseling, you've got to find someone that specializes in your child's diagnoses.  If you find one that makes you feel worse, then don't go there.  I have really great insurance so it covers a lot of it, it's sad that money has to come between getting your child help, but you can do it!!

• T1DKyMom
    February 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with severe anxiety.  I knew there was something going on because he was constantly complaining of pain in his stomach, back, neck, head, arms, legs, feet, everything.  I took him to his pedi and she could not find anything physically wrong with him. At that time we took him to a mental health facility and they gave him, me, and his teacher some tests to fill out.  He scored so high for all the markers for anxiety and some depression.  He is now on medication and doing so much better.  His confidence and energy are way up.

• HyperMom38
    February 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

My DD has ADD, and yes- I kind of had a feeling from about the 12-18 month mark that she was not as calm as other peoples kids and suspected that she would be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD.  Her dad appears to have ADHD as does my mother, but they are both undiagnosed.  I may have noticed sooner than some because I got my degree in K-12 Art Education and recognizing the signs and symptoms of ADD/ADHD and other learning dissabilities was part of our training.  As far as how I am handling her daily life... I just keep it as normal as possible.  She needs firm consistent discipline.  I have to help her find focus when her mind is going a mile a minute.  When she is 6, if she continues to have "issues" in school the doctor has offered to try meds and see if that helps.  Most of her issues are around not listening to her teacher the first time- the teacher has to repeat herself over and over to get DD to focus and respond which is pretty typical.  Thankfully, girls for some reason are usually able to self modify their behavior when they have ADD/ ADHD and don't require as much meds as the boys do according to my ped.

• nomadbrat83
    February 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    Izzy was diagnosed as ADHD and SPD at 4 and mood disordee NOS (will likely be changed to bipolar when she is older) at 5. Her medications and therapy help a lot but it still can be hard. She is also gifted. I knew by age 3.
  • vetNmommy
    February 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My 6 year old son was diagnosed a little over a year ago with ADHD, ODD and possible aspberger's.  (we are moving so we are holding off on further testing) I knew something was "off" with him when he was 8 months old and in daycare, he would not try and play with the other babies, he would be in a corner playing by himself.  Then at 18 months old I gave him baby carrots with some ranch dressing, one rolled into the dressing and he had an absolute fit!  Then he does not like his pants to touch the ground, they have to be a size six since he is six. (heaven forbid I put him in size 7) his sleeves can not be tight on his shirts, He is a perfectionist that rolls into making sure everyone else writes accordingly to the rules. His food can not touch eachother, ect.  

• BetCatGo2
    February 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Sorry to say but you won't find many compassionate people on this forum. Most people have no idea about mental illness or autism etc. They think you just go to a dr and make it go away. Right....I noticed my nephew had a problem when he was an infant, maybe 3 months old. He could not make eye contact. This was decades ago, long before Autism was a household word. I tried to tell my brother and SIL but they insisted he was ok. I knew better. Gut feeling. Today my nephew lives on his own but is disabled and on SSDI. It's not a great life, certainly not one his parents dreamed he would have.   I don't know what to tell you but it's a daily struggle. You will feel frightened, sad and hopefull all in one day. It's a roller coaster and you can't get off of this ride. Try to get a good diagnosis and do not stop no matter what a single Dr tells you if you really think something is wrong. The growing brain of a child is very plastic and you can help the baby to have a more normal life.

• kaylasmom22
    February 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    oh dd doesn't have issues(thanks God) I am just asking is all.

Quoting Hethrjo:

You can order it off of Amazon for like 10$.  I forgot to answer the second part of your question, but I think that for every child that it will be different on how you handle it.  With our situation, my daughter can't really handle a lot of being away from me.  She has major trust issues and she pushes me away when I try to help, so it's a challenge.  I've found that if she really knows how to push my buttons and if she gets the reaction out of me that she wants (she wants me to hurt-just as much as she hurts)  then she's won but we get no where.  I have grown A LOT from this.  It takes a lot out of you when you don't have someone to share with or you just don't know how to handle it.  I'd recommend counseling, you've got to find someone that specializes in your child's diagnoses.  If you find one that makes you feel worse, then don't go there.  I have really great insurance so it covers a lot of it, it's sad that money has to come between getting your child help, but you can do it!!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts