The CafeMom Newcomers Club

deloit
child support
by deloit
February 21, 2013 at 8:07 AM
i know for 1 kid its usually 14%,what is it for 2 kids? Im gonna call dhr later to find out.im working on divorce papers and have to put an amount,but he's not working so i need to figure something out.TIA.

Replies

• Indianamomto4
    February 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I don't know if you can get an order for support if he is not working unless he is drawing unemployment. My sil's ex hasn't paid anything in 18mos. and her attorney told her there is no point going to court because he is not working and deliberately doesn't, just mooches off his dad so that he won't have to pay support on 5 kids....deadbeat loser!

• KenKie
    by KenKie
    February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    If he's not working they will take the money from his unemployment or any assistance that he might get. My daughter's father went from getting 6 figures to getting unemployment. He still has to pay $300 a month as opposed to the $750 (and then $1763.00 he was supposed to have to pay in June). They can reduce it for him but will tell him that they will revisit the amount in a few months. DC, according to my daughter's father, will call the father and ask if he's looking for a job. Is he paying anything right now? It also goes by how much you make as well. Just depends on the state.
  • AMBG825
    by AMBG825
    February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/

click on your state and follow the directions and it should tell you how much support you should receive. Keep in mind, it is just a guideline. A judge can order any amount they wish below or above that amount. According to the calculator, DH's ex should pay around $400/mo. the judge ordered her to pay only $124/mo. (Which she hasn't paid that either.)

The only income that is exempt from being garnished is SSI. Any other income ....disability, unemployment etc, is subject to garnishment. Otherwise, being unemployed is not an excuse to not pay support. If he is deliberately unemployed or voluntarily under employed, the judge can use an imputed income based on what he is capable of making or what the average person in his field makes. So let's say he's a carpenter and not working, the judge can look at what the average carpenter makes in your area and use that income to base CS on.

• KenKie
    by KenKie
    February 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Some of them get paid under the table so that they don't have to pay as well.  It's such a shame that men do this to their children.  It's just sad.

• Gorilla_Mama
    February 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    My ex refuses to work most of the time but because he's physically able to they input his income at full time minimum wage saying that was the least he could do.

Quoting Indianamomto4:

I don't know if you can get an order for support if he is not working unless he is drawing unemployment. My sil's ex hasn't paid anything in 18mos. and her attorney told her there is no point going to court because he is not working and deliberately doesn't, just mooches off his dad so that he won't have to pay support on 5 kids....deadbeat loser!

• deloit
    by deloit
    February 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    i am trying to come up with an amount for him in the divorce papers that he will agree to. We are trying to stay out of court.
  • Am_Nich84
    February 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    I know for two kids, the court mandated that my ex husband paid 28%. If you're trying to keep it out of court, maybe you could do 20 or 25%? Just a thought :-) I know 28% is rough for my ex.
  • deloit
    by deloit
    February 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    thats what i was thinking, 20%.

Quoting Am_Nich84:

I know for two kids, the court mandated that my ex husband paid 28%. If you're trying to keep it out of court, maybe you could do 20 or 25%? Just a thought :-) I know 28% is rough for my ex.

• SarahLynn1985
    February 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    Not sure on the perccentage for my hubby but he pays 575 a month for 2 kids.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN