The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Mamas of Preemies, I need advice!
February 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM
My brothers gf just had their baby very early, 25 weeks 4 days they think. He is 2 lbs 4 oz but he is looking good! Mom is doing fine and was discharged this morning (baby is in a different hospital, so they discharged her pretty early I think...36 hours after her c section...to let her get to him sooner I think).

Anyway, when I knew she went into preterm labor I kept busy making some preemie hats, I have three for them. I am planning to go visit this afternoon (as soon as bro and gf are ready to let me in!) is there anything I can bring them? I have the hats, am thinking a congrats card with something nice written in it (a friend said no one ever congratulated her with her preemie, just said how sorry they were....and gf and I aren't on the best of terms, but I still care very much for my nephew and want to let her know that in the card), maybe a gas card for my brother since he will have to go to work about 35 min away and she doesn't drive but she can stay at the hospital with him. Maybe some snacks? What would have been nice for you to get?

Replies

• dana63
    by dana63
    February 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    When my granddaughter was born we brought my son a few gift cards to serveral fast food places and gas cards. I also made sure he had some cash for that just in case. I brought them preemie diapers and a few outfits. For my daughter n law I brought a card and gave her a robe and gift card as well..(There was many of us that all gave). Congrats on your nephew!! I will keep the family in my thoughts and prayers..
  • MamaRubio26
    February 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    My oldest was 24 weeks and a couple ounces lighter :). I remember that too, people felt sorry rather than congratulatory except my family. That really goes a long way. Gas cards & gift cards help of you're a distance from home or the hospital. For the baby, since he's likely in a NICU, hats, socks, little mittens and lots of blankies for his bed. Tiny out fits are hard to find that small, but unless he's on cpap and not a ventilator it could be a couple months before he needs them. :-) Good luck with everything!
  • Humanoid
    February 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Gift cards to stores that carry preemie stuff, such as burlington or babies r us

Gas cards

FOOD. <3 Hospital food got very tiring after awhile lol

Love and support.

• Crazylovingfam
    February 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    I would bring a basket of fruit, maybe some pjs/lounge clothes, some books or something to do, and gift cards
  • MamaRubio26
    February 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    Also, idk if your bro and his gf live a significant distance away from the hospital your nephew is at, but if they are there's a place called the Ronald McDonald House. They will house you in their home (it is very welcoming and feels like a homey atmosphere) for the duration of his NICU stay. Insurance covers them entirely. That way she'd have a place to rest and still be very close by. A hospital worker or nurse would know. If there's anything you need to know specifically pm me. I might be able to help.
  • Schleetle
    February 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    I'd bring food, or food gift cards. When I was in the NICU with my babies I was too busy to even think about getting food for me.
  • darcibeisheim
    February 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I was a NICU mommy too... although my son was full term, he was very very sick and needed surgery..

Some things that I loved were, puzzle books, a journal (or baby book-- they do make special NICU baby books) travel size lotions and hand sanitizer (the constant washing causes dry hands), gift cards to walmart or local department store (for anything they have forgotten), gift cards to a resturant.  Really at this point, the hospital will provide most if not all that the baby really needs, but often the parents are the ones forgotten.

for baby, recieving blankets, headbands (for a girl), mittens and booties, hats, disposable cameras (for mom to leave in room for nurses to snap pictures when mom is away) baby wash and or lotion (though baby will probably be very sensitive to most of it right now).

• RyansMommie07
    February 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

my family kept bringing in meals when i was discharged but he wasnt... it helped just having them there for support, but the food was definitly appreciated!

• momofamamasboy
    February 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    The preemie parents companion by Susan l madden.

Gave me the advice on what to expect while my dd was in the nicu. And I could do kangaroo care and read.

The hats are a wonderful gift! Socks too :)
  • graycalico
    February 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Definitely some easy to eat snacks, maybe some magazines. You could throw in some personal care things like lip balm and unscented hand lotion. You have to wash your hands a lot with hospital soap so they get dry.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts