The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
Bookoholic
I'm not being stupid about a car seat, right?
February 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Long story short someone else totaled my car which had my son's awesome car seat in it, so my mom brought to me her car seat for ds. Her car seat is considered two stars or average from the highway and traffic safety administration, my pervious car seat at the time was a four stars, now it's three. I did some online car seat shopping and found a new car seat with four/five stars for $100. My mom thinks I should use the $40 car seat in her car because "it works just fine". My greatest concern is that he will be in the car seat and we get in a reck and he's hurt badly because he wasn't in a great car seat. Everyone but my boyfriend thinks I am being stupid because we have a car seat that works fine. To me my moms car seat is a great temporary back up but I really don't want him in it long term and ds's pedi agree's. Am I being over reactive about it or am I just doing what is right?

Replies

• Greenstone920
    February 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Insurance has to cover the cost of the new seat.  Get what you want.

• JsMommy1003
    February 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I think that you should do what makes you feel comfortable.

• connorsmommy120

I think you should get the seat if you want it. Who cares what other people think.

• lovebugs_mom906
    I would get the car seat you want. Won't insurance cover the cost of a new seat? Usually if there's been an accident with a safety seat inside, they will pay for a new one. Might want to check into that.
  • jjchick75
    February 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Agreed! It's your child and you want him in a higher quality seat go for it! 

Quoting Greenstone920:

• silverdawn99
    February 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

if you have the money for a new one then get the new one

but if you are strapped for cash the $40 will work just as well

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    February 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    This.

I chose my boosters by the IIHS best bet list but have never bought seats for stars.

If you want to know all the pros/ cons of current seats head over to the car seat safety group.

In the end it's up to you, not her- gl!

Quoting Greenstone920:

• Bookoholic
    February 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    If I had insurance, unfortunately like I said it's a long story.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

I would get the car seat you want. Won't insurance cover the cost of a new seat? Usually if there's been an accident with a safety seat inside, they will pay for a new one. Might want to check into that.

• ilovemyson2002
    February 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

the win in my town sale car seats for 15 dollars  and they r good 

• cowgirlsmommy
    February 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Those ratings you're looking at have nothing to do with safety.
    They're ease of use ratings. Meaning how easy it is for people to understand the instructions.
    If your child fits in this other seat and it fits your vehicle, it's safe.
    Your insurance will pay for your crashed seat to be replaced.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts