The CafeMom Newcomers Club

LoveMyLife28
Anyone with actual experience weaning an older toddler?
January 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM

My son is almost 2 and is no where near finished BF. My first weaned himself around 18 months. It kinda breaks my heart, but I know it's time for us to stop. Any advice on how to make it easier on both of us or advice in general?

Replies

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    January 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand. If you are heartbroken about weaning and he's "no where near finished BF" then why must you stop? Extended breastfeeding is healthy and provides an excellent foundation for a toddler both in terms of nutrition and in terms of their normal strides toward independence. With extended breastfeeding the inevitable phases of pickiness are not of any real concern and when you are breastfeeding a toddler it makes it so much easier for them to be able to both seek independence and yet still have an excuse to "return to the Mothership" when they are feeling insecure. While I know it isn't the norm here you might be surprised by the number of mothers who do extended breastfeeding, I know I was when I was nursing my son. Additionally it can provide some protection from the everyday illnesses that he may encounter and may make any he does get less serious. My son was in a toddler class of fifteen in one of the worst flu years we ever had in our area and only he and one other of his classmates avoided the flu and both of them were still breastfeeding, some of the children even required hospitalization.

• Arwyn724
    January 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I let both of my kids decide.  My first breastfed right up to her 3rd birthday, then was done.  My second was almost two, when going back to work changed our routine, she was ready to give it up, too.

• frndlyfn
    January 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I also had a child who self weaned way past the age of 2.  She still ate plenty of table foods and drank lots of water.

• inspain
    by inspain
    January 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Wait a little longer.  DD1 weaned on her own at two and a half.

• Krysta622
    January 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    If you're looking to speed up the process drop one nursing session per week.
  • cjsix
    by cjsix
    January 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm afraid I don't understand. If you are heartbroken about weaning and he's "no where near finished BF" then why must you stop? Extended breastfeeding is healthy and provides an excellent foundation for a toddler both in terms of nutrition and in terms of their normal strides toward independence. With extended breastfeeding the inevitable phases of pickiness are not of any real concern and when you are breastfeeding a toddler it makes it so much easier for them to be able to both seek independence and yet still have an excuse to "return to the Mothership" when they are feeling insecure. While I know it isn't the norm here you might be surprised by the number of mothers who do extended breastfeeding, I know I was when I was nursing my son. Additionally it can provide some protection from the everyday illnesses that he may encounter and may make any he does get less serious. My son was in a toddler class of fifteen in one of the worst flu years we ever had in our area and only he and one other of his classmates avoided the flu and both of them were still breastfeeding, some of the children even required hospitalization.

I nursed All six of mine with childled weaning and they were all a little over 2 1/2 yrs or more. I agree with what is said here and I did the same...I also found that even when everyone esle was getting sick,it was baby and I who didn't. Another thing that is a Great side benefit is that if they get a boo-boo it's the Best way to "make it all better." What you are doing is a wonderful thing and you will see if you already haven't,that he is actually very independent for his age,because he has that safety of nursing when he needs to.

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

i just now stopped. my daughter is 4 mos. i pump and put it in a bottle. i planned on stopping at six mos.I didnt want a whiney kid on my boobs all the time. Thats just me.  Put it in a cup.Just practice unless he shows that he isnt having trouble with it then go with it.  He will get used to it. Thats what i did with my oldest. They are old enough for independence.

• MDWife12
    January 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    I left for the weekend, she was 2 1/2. She still wanted it when i got back but i told her they were for babies nd shes a big girl now and i rocked her and snuggled her.....she was pissed but she got over it after 2 days. Shes going to be 5 in 2 weeks and shes fine still lol :)
  • tyrelsmom
    January 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    I lied. I told her they were broken, there was no more milky left. She was unhappy about it at bedtime for a few days, and then she was fine. She was 21 months. The only reason I weaned her so soon was because I was pregnant, and nursing hurt soooo bad.
  • Gwynyth
    by Gwynyth
    January 29, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My DD was fully weaned just before 3. I started weaning her at 18 months by only letting her nurse at bedtime. I guess the reason I let her go on nursing so long was because I knew she would be my only baby. It brought us closer, and I was afraid that weaning her would hurt our relationship. It sounds crazy to me now, too. She weaned herself.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN