The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
TableforSeven
Almost had a dog "get us" yesterday
January 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Most of the people we know here who have dogs tell us that they didn't find the dog...the dog found them.  It seems like 90% of them had a dog follow them home and it just never left.....9% got a puppy from a neighbor who had a pregnant dog follow them home....and the last 1% brought a dog with them when they moved here.

Last night DD#2 was out with friends.  When she got home - she said that a dog followed her home.  Not just to the street by our house - but up the stairs and was sitting by the front door.  I went out there expecting to see a small dog (not sure why...but that is what I pictured).  What I found was a fully-grown pale-yellow dog that appeared to be a Labrador retriever!  LOL
It got scared when I went outside but instead of running toward the front of the house...the only way to leave our yard -- it ran up the back hill.  I didn't want to make it feel cornered -- so we went back inside.  It was gone when we went back out.  I'm half-expecting to see it again soon.

I'm not sure if it was a male or female...didn't get that close.  LOL  It definitely didn't have a collar - and looked pretty straggly.  Had a big splotch of mud on its one shoulder.  DD said it seemed friendly enough.  Though she didn't pet it.  She said she tried to 'loose' it by speeding up her walking-speed...but it just started jogging to keep up with her.  She was shocked it followed her up the stairs (we have a long, winding staircase leading up to the house). 

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

awww poor dog.  Good job to your girl though not freaking out about a strange dog following her.

• TableforSeven
    January 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

awww poor dog.  Good job to your girl though not freaking out about a strange dog following her.

We all know the stories of how everyone 'finds' their dog by it following them home....so I think that might have been going through her head.  And I guess it seemed friendly enough, so it was good.  Haven't seen him/her yet today - but it isn't even 2pm yet....so there is still time.

• frndlyfn
    January 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Bumping.

• coolmommy2x
    January 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Are wandering stray dogs that common there?
  • krise
    by krise
    January 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

AWE

• TableforSeven
    January 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Are wandering stray dogs that common there?

Stray dogs don't really seem 'common' (stray cats are EVERYWHERE though).  But there seem to be enough that they just find a home and adopt the people.

The REALLY odd thing here is that most of the dogs walk themselves.  You will see dogs with collars....some even with nice, clean coats on in the cool weather, out walking the streets.  They seem to take their walks at the same times each day....then they head back home.  I have seen a few people walking their dogs ole ashes....but most dogs take care of walking themselves.

• TableforSeven
    January 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Bumping.

He/She did not come back today.  May the neighbors really loud, angry dogs scared it away.

• EsmeVincent
    January 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    I've never had a dog follow me home before...but its good she dent freak out or pet it or feed it. If it comes back I would call animal control or a no kill shelter and see if its chipped and if the owner is looking for their dog
  • TableforSeven
    January 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Quoting EsmeVincent:

I've never had a dog follow me home before...but its good she dent freak out or pet it or feed it. If it comes back I would call animal control or a no kill shelter and see if its chipped and if the owner is looking for their dog

I don't think there is any animal control here.  There certainly aren't any shelters anywhere near-by.  But if he comes back I can call our vet and ask his advice.

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

omg!! it's old yeller!!!! i hope he comes back :-)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts