The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
norahsmommy
Best soup ever!
January 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I had a leftover chicken in the fridge that was basically just carcass with some tiny bits of meat. I made stock with it and after it had fallen apart I picked off the remaining meat and discarded the bones and cartilage I sautéed 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of celery, half a red bell, a handful of chopped baby carrots and a large turnip in some butter. Then I added a little bacon fat ;). I also threw in about a half cup of lentils. I added the stock back ad well as a can of coconut milk and the chicken and seasoned with curry powder salt, pepper, a little chili powder and let it cook.

When it was done it was pretty good. I added a plop of spicy guacamole. I know that probably sounds gross but I swear it was delicious! Dh ate 4 bowls.

Replies

• norahsmommy
    January 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    Bump
  • mommy2boys03
    January 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

When we have a turkey I keep the bones and make soup out of that.  That does sound very good.

• Bax
    by Bax
    January 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Not my "cup of tea". There are very few things that I really dislike but it just so happens 3 of them, lentils, coconut milk, and curry powder were in your soup!  But I could see my son eating it, he loves that flavor combination.

• frndlyfn
    January 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That sounds like kitchen sink soup or rock soup LOL  you put whatever you find into a soup pan.  I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

• Aivlys_
    by Aivlys_
    January 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    It sounds really good, minus the bacon fat! :)
  • ninipanini
    January 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

homemade chicken stock is like liquid gold, isn't it?

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

so i usually have gold in the bank, LOL

• norahsmommy
    January 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Dh wanted that added. We eat very low carb and needed a little extra fat in that meal.

Quoting Aivlys_:

It sounds really good, minus the bacon fat! :)

• norahsmommy
    January 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    I will never go back to store bought stock. It's not even close! I usually have a gallon or so in the freezer at any given time.

Quoting ninipanini:

i buy the leq quarters when they go on sale and make a huge batch with 10 lbs of it, boil the living daylights out of it for a few hours(by then the meat is dog food, like saw dust) put it in 1 qt freezer bags and freeze

• saraface5383
    January 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    How long do you boil the meat to make stock? Is it actually boiling or simmering?

Quoting ninipanini:

• sweetmissy_05
    January 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That does sound good!!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email