The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
kjms99
taxes and getting paid under the table??!!
by kjms99
January 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

So if a person gets paid under the table and the employer refuses to give them a 1099-T (I think that's what its called) how do you go about paying/filing taxes?

Replies

• FooLynRoo
    January 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

You got paid under the table, that's illegal.

If you are ready to file taxes (federal) be prepared to pay all the other taxes that you haven't all year too.

• frndlyfn
    January 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM

What she said.  Alot of people do under the table so that they do not have to pay the taxes which are included when people are legally working there.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

If you are ready to file taxes (federal) be prepared to pay all the other taxes that you haven't all year too.

• kjms99
    by kjms99
    January 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I am prepared to pay it, thats why i was asking how do I go about it!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

• fliptopz4
    January 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Claim the money you were paid. Self employed people do it all the time, you don't need a 1099. Just keep a record of what you were paid and when, thats all you need.

• kjms99
    by kjms99
    January 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM

and then take it into H&R block or something? I wanna pay my taxes Im just worried about getting in trouble!

Quoting fliptopz4:

Claim the money you were paid. Self employed people do it all the time, you don't need a 1099. Just keep a record of what you were paid and when, thats all you need.

• fliptopz4
    January 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting kjms99:

and then take it into H&R block or something? I wanna pay my taxes Im just worried about getting in trouble!

Quoting fliptopz4:

yes I use to use a spread sheet and put how much I was paid and  the date I was paid. I'd send a copy of it in with my tax returns. Never had a problem .

• christina0607
    January 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    Speak to the employer again. Are you still working for them now? I would expect that to end once you have outed them to the IRS.

You will also pay more in taxes by being self emloyeed rather than an employee. Last I checked its an extra 7%...maybe a little higher.
  • kjms99
    by kjms99
    January 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

no i actually quit on thursday when i found out about this tax situation and a few other under handed things there doing! They dont claim us as emplyees at all...its a damn mess, I just want to do the right thing!

Quoting christina0607:

Speak to the employer again. Are you still working for them now? I would expect that to end once you have outed them to the IRS.

You will also pay more in taxes by being self emloyeed rather than an employee. Last I checked its an extra 7%...maybe a little higher.

• quickbooksworm
    January 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM

You claim the money anyway.  You don't need a 1099.  It's up to the IRS on whether or not they get fined for not sending out a 1099.

• christina0607
    January 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    Quoting kjms99:

what kind of work is it? Its odd that they wouldn't want to write off that expense.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts