The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
JustMe0326
If I would've had a gun on me, my neighbor would have a dead dog right now.
January 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Yesterday we were about to take the kids to Awana. Sd walked out the door first, ten steps later ds walked out, five steps later I was right behind them. As soon as I walk out the door I hear sd (9 yo) yelling, howling, and barking and I see her standing on our sidewalk doing this to the 3 dogs that were inside my neighbors fence. The dogs were going nuts, barking back at her. Before I could even yell at her the biggest dog got excited enough that he busted through their gate and came charging at my kids.
Ds (who is 8) FREAKED out when he saw the dogs get out and how mad they were, and took off running towards me which made the big dog (a boxer) chase him. My son was terrified and rightfully so because he's already been attacked by a pitbull a few years ago that could've killed him. When ds gets to me, I grab him and get between ds and the dog and put my foot out like I was going to kick it. That made the dog turn around and he then went after sd. All while I was protecting ds, I was also screaming at sd to get in the car, but she didn't listen. So the dog got back to her, jumping, barking and growling while she was screaming. I finally get to her and I'm screaming at the dog and the kids at the same time, trying to get the dog away and get the kids in the car (safe) at the same time. Finally I think I scared the dog away and everything was ok without anyone getting bit, but damn.
One thing that did help me, I think, is that I knew the dogs name. When I screamed "TANNER", it got his attention away from sd long enough for her to get in the car.

Now, I realize sd was being VERY stupid and the dog was being provoked by her, and she is in trouble for that because she KNOWS better, but I swear if I had a gun on me, we would have a dead dog.

*Sigh* It was so scary. I thought we were going through my son being attacked all over again. :(

Replies

• kzuehlk
    by kzuehlk
    January 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    I totally understand the fear, but the dog shouldn't be punished or killed because your kids can't control themselves. It's not the dog's fault that she was teasing him and he reacted
  • Beth3721
    January 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Once I was getting my DD out of the car at my mom and dads when the neighbor dogs came running over barking and growling.  She was in an infant seat and probably would have been fine because they are little dogs.  One jumped up on the back of my legs and I turned around and kicked it in the head really hard. Needless to say, the little yippy thing and his buddy ran back home.  I felt bad for about 2 seconds.  Its just instinct to protect your kids.

• mommyslate
    January 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    The dog shouldn't be punished because your kid was provoking it. And believe me if it was trying to be aggressive someone would have gotten bit, the dog probably got excited and thought your kid was trying to play. Pretty sure that's a lesson for your kid not the other way around.
  • JustMe0326
    January 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    1., Kid. Not kidS.
    2. I don't care what she was doing. If I think an animal is attacking my kids, they're going to die.

Quoting kzuehlk:

I totally understand the fear, but the dog shouldn't be punished or killed because your kids can't control themselves. It's not the dog's fault that she was teasing him and he reacted
  • Due9
    by Due9
    January 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Your kid shouldn't have provoked it

• AlohaTink
    January 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    I'm with you OP. If ds did that my first instinct would be to protect him period. Afterwards he would be in a lot of trouble though. My sister owns a mastiff and when Bella feels she needs to defend her people from a stranger, she will get loud and scary. That's why it's important for children to know how to properly treat dogs.
  • JulyBabies
    January 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Of course your SD should not have provoked the dog, you already know that. However, if the dog can break through the fence, the fence was not secure enough to contain 3 dogs and that is not your fault, it is the neighbors. 

Glad nobody was seriously hurt!

• areid1023
    January 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

i am very sorry you were so scared. i hope your SD learned her lesson. 

as it stands now no one was hurt, thank goodness! had you had a gun on you and had a panicked reaction (towards a dog that was not actually biting or attacking i might add) things couldve turned out much worse. who knows if you wouldve hit and killed the dog, or one of your children, or another person or person's property. 

tonight, that family has their ultimately non-aggressive dog back, you nor your children acquired any bodily harm and your daughter has a valuable lesson under her belt. i wouldnt waste my time thinking about all the things you could've or would've done to that dog. i would, however, see if your neighbors can reinforce their gate for their dogs safety.

• CheyennesMommy2
    January 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Im with you op. Dog would been down. I cant stand how people hold animals above children.
  • mommy5912
    January 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    your child is the one who is to blame not the dog!!!!!

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN