The CafeMom Newcomers Club

supermom0609
can a school.make you.put ur kid on adhd meds? UPDATE SPOKE WITH TEACHER
January 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
so my.6 yr old was on focalin from may of last year- 2 weeks ago due to him having bad side effects. his doctor recommended we discontinue so we did and we dont plan to start back. his teacher has been sending notes home he cant focus,he is acting bad ect. today she sent a note home she is havin problems with.his behavior and she needs to meet with us. im sure she wants him back.on meds. my husband says he is not putting him back on meds. can they make us?

UPDATE: so i.spoke with his teacher she said he is constantly in trouble,wont leave the other kids alone,cant focus,cant finish his work and if he keeps going like he is going he wont.pass kindergarden. against dh's wishes i made an appoinment for 9 am to bring him in to get put on something.else

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    January 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    no your child your choice
  • wonderwomanT08
    January 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.
  • momtoBrenna
    January 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM

No, they cannot but you might need an IEP or 504 to help with behavior modifications and any help he needs to succeed.

• heartnhidin
    No one can make you medicate your child. What type of classroom is he in? Does he have an IEP?
  • supermom0609
    i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

No! The school should be able to offer services to help your son.Medication free.

• emmy526
    by emmy526

no, they can't make you do anything of the sort...they can suggest and recommend all they want, but it's YOUR child, and not theirs....if she has no direct suggestions or answers for you, go over her head to the principal. 

• supermom0609
    January 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    i replied just below you.about the iep

Quoting heartnhidin:

No one can make you medicate your child. What type of classroom is he in? Does he have an IEP?

• heartnhidin
    January 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Oh okay. Well I would call a meeting and discuss a behavior plan now. Does he see a therapist?

Quoting supermom0609:

i asked about getting him an iep but they.said we have to wait for his evaluation results which we wont get.till end of march.to.determine if he qualifies for one.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

• supermom0609
    see the thing im not understanding at our first conforence she said he was too"zoned out" and he needed to participate more so we lowered his meds and she suggested we might need to stop.the meds now when we do he is too hyper ect

Quoting emmy526:

no, they can't make you do anything of the sort...they can suggest and recommend all they want, but it's YOUR child, and not theirs....if she has no direct suggestions or answers for you, go over her head to the principal. 

• supermom0609
    we start family.therapy.friday

Quoting heartnhidin:

Oh okay. Well I would call a meeting and discuss a behavior plan now. Does he see a therapist?

Quoting supermom0609:

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN