The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
kelliehelvie
Why do you argue like it's a parenting style/choice?
January 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM

When it comes to car seat safety, why argue about what's safe or not? You are either doing it right, or you're doing it wrong. If you're wrong, you are NOT RIGHT. You CAN NOT argue that you're right. There are too many tests, and experts (techs) that have been educated for YOU to aruge that it's okay because some jim bob from what'cha'ma call it's fire station said it was good enough. GET A CLUE!! 

And yes, I'm a tech.

PLEASE take a look at this if you're interested in admitting that you might be doing something wrong, and actually doing something about it.

http://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/30/the-picture-guide-to-car-seat-safety/

Phew. Sorry, I had to say that after that mess of a post that I just read!!

Replies

• ebbierowe
    January 23, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    They can't argue that they are "right" but it is still their choice to do it "wrong"
  • Kmary
    by Kmary
    January 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM

1.  You never answered a single question about your driving.  Loose straps are unsafe.  So is exceeding the speed limit.  Have you ever, in your life, exceeded the speed limit while driving your children around?  This could be another issue that is technically black and white (it is against the law, right?) but yet people make the choice to not follow from time to time for whatever reason.  I'm simply pointing it out because your OP is extremely holier than thou when it comes to this one safety issue...but it is not the ONLY thing that factors into safety.   

2.  I never used the word "most" to describe the number of infants who dislike facing backwards and thus, scream, cry and otherwise distract the driver.  Please re-read.  I used the word many.  And many is not an exaggeration.  It may not be the majority, but it certainly is very common.   At least among the many, many parents/babies I know.  And since we know from hundreds of studies on car crash causes that distracted driving is the number one cause, I was just curious of which would be statistically less safe:  continued distraction or a more comfortable,but less safe, car seat position.  It's just a curiosity that I have.  I don't know the answer to that. 

But I do know one thing:  you didn't post this to get any real input or have anyone question your view or discuss the topic in any productive or general way.  You simply were looking for a bunch of people to say, "you're right, OP!" 

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Quoting Kmary:

Probably because like almost everything,  life  is not black and white the way you describe.  My nephew had horrendous motion sickness every single time he rode in the car as an infant.  He vomited every. single. time!  My brother HATED facing him forward at a year.  He knows the stats and all the info, and it killed him to go against the recommendation, but life isn't black and white.  There are outside factors.  And it was both heartbreaking and logistically difficult to clean vomit every single day.  So he made the best, most logical decision for his particular circumstance.  And I don't think he's alone. -- I wasn't even talking about ERF or anything about a parenting choice, I'm talking about. Straps being loose, straps not in correct position, using bulky clothes etc. Everything that is IN the manual. So yes, the things in the manual are black and white. YOU must do these things.

Another situation I've often wondered about:  many infants hate facing backwards and no amount of bottles, toys, music etc will get them to calm down.  Knowing that distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents, I've often wondered what the breakdown is safety-wise.  Is it statistically safer to forward face at a year (thus eliminating the screaming distraction) or is it better to continue to drive distracted by screaming but keep them rear-facing?  I'd honestly be curious to know the difference in those numbers.   See, car seat safety is very important.  I take it very seriously.  But often mothers (and car seat installation techs) like to behave as though it is the ONLY factor in car safety, when it is absolutely not.  Does the parent obey the speed limit?  Use their cell phone when driving?  Drive defensively?  Not drive unecessarily in bad weather?  I don't see posts bashing those common driving mistakes, but I sure a lot of critiquing of car seats installation. -- Using the word most is incorrect. That's not a statistic, that's out of your head. I know many babies in my life that have no problem with being in a car seat. Again, these are not the things I"m talking about. I'm talking about chest clip being at the chest, straps not as loose as a wet noodle and other very BLACK AND WHITE things.

OP, do you ever exceed the speed limit?  Drive a little aggressively?  Peruse your phone or get distracted by something you're passing?  I'm sure you do.  We all do.  All of those things are large causes of accidents.  

And the fact is that driving our kids in a car is the number one most dangerous thing we do to them every day and that's with everything properly placed.  It just statistically is.  And we will never, ever be able to remove all risk from driving or from life, so we make cost/benefit decisions based on our own circumstances.  And believe it or not, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. 

• wonderwomanT08
    January 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Just because it isn't law doesn't mean its wrong
  • AJnEsMama
    January 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Why are people saying to mind their own business? It is not a parenting choice like the poster said. It is not judging you or an opinion. It is to be informative and law in probably all states. It is here. Children's safety is not something to be taken lightly. Speed limits are very high on most highways and freeways. That is why seat belts and car seats were invented. If it prevents one death then it was worth hurting a few feelings. 

• dusky_rose
    Sue
    January 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Oh, hmmmm... this is one of those "I'm right, you are wrong posts". Good luck with that.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts