The CafeMom Newcomers Club

amy1will
Almost passed out today..
January 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Had to do my blood work today. It was the normal they usually do when you first get pregnant. HIV hep all that other stuff. I have a big fear of needle. I freak out. Im so scared to have blood work or get shots. So I'm waiting and they are taking everyone that came in after me. I start feeling like I'm gonna have a panic attack. Finally I'm called.

He shows me the needle cause that's one way to make calm me down and I won't freak out so bad. He but the thing on my arm andeeverything is fine. Then it stops flowing and I'm losing feeling in my arm. Then I can't feel my arm at all. And its completely whiter. Like I'm a vampire. I start getting dizzy and light headed and I'm about to fall over. He still had 4 viles to go. He took a total of 8.

I ate before I went. Drank oj and water. Felt good. I had to sit for like 10mins after he was done just to feel better. I didn't get a burger after and started feeling a lot better. I know I will be getting more blood work done and Dh said he will be going for now on to make sure I'm good.

Replies

• greenie63
    January 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I did for years, every time I had blood drawn, a needle, or IV. A few years ago I was having routine blood work and I passed out and had a seizure. I was told I have whats called a vagal response to needles. Basically it means my blood pressure gets so low I pass out. So whenever I get blood work, IV's or needles, they have to do it in a reclining position. I still get a little light headed, but I don't pass out anymore. 

• 143myboys9496
    January 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I've heard of people that have to lay down when they get blood drawn. Sounds like a bit of panic. 8 vials of blood isn't too much, the smaller ones hold between 3-5cc(ml) and the bigger ones 10cc(ml)...

A 1L(litre) bottle is 1000ml (cc)...

if you can lay down next time that might be better for you. If that's not a option, then try holding your dh's hand, and closing your eyes and put yourself where ever your most favorite place to be is. imagery can help quite a lot. It worked for me when I had to have a shoulder MRI...

• opal10161973
    January 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I find that by not watching, it's better for me---and I'm a nurse.  I am a wimp.  LOL

• Rust.n.Gears
    January 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I always pass out when blood is drawn. No clue why but I warn them and now my doctors office is ready for it. They have juice and cookies ready before they start and I leave time to recover. Plus I always go to the office with someone so they can drive home. 

• Mommynwife26
    January 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Could you be anemic? I'm anemic and get light headed n dizzy when I get blood drawn.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN