The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
amy1will
Almost passed out today..
January 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Had to do my blood work today. It was the normal they usually do when you first get pregnant. HIV hep all that other stuff. I have a big fear of needle. I freak out. Im so scared to have blood work or get shots. So I'm waiting and they are taking everyone that came in after me. I start feeling like I'm gonna have a panic attack. Finally I'm called.

He shows me the needle cause that's one way to make calm me down and I won't freak out so bad. He but the thing on my arm andeeverything is fine. Then it stops flowing and I'm losing feeling in my arm. Then I can't feel my arm at all. And its completely whiter. Like I'm a vampire. I start getting dizzy and light headed and I'm about to fall over. He still had 4 viles to go. He took a total of 8.

I ate before I went. Drank oj and water. Felt good. I had to sit for like 10mins after he was done just to feel better. I didn't get a burger after and started feeling a lot better. I know I will be getting more blood work done and Dh said he will be going for now on to make sure I'm good.

Replies

• greenie63
    January 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I did for years, every time I had blood drawn, a needle, or IV. A few years ago I was having routine blood work and I passed out and had a seizure. I was told I have whats called a vagal response to needles. Basically it means my blood pressure gets so low I pass out. So whenever I get blood work, IV's or needles, they have to do it in a reclining position. I still get a little light headed, but I don't pass out anymore. 

• 143myboys9496
    January 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I've heard of people that have to lay down when they get blood drawn. Sounds like a bit of panic. 8 vials of blood isn't too much, the smaller ones hold between 3-5cc(ml) and the bigger ones 10cc(ml)...

A 1L(litre) bottle is 1000ml (cc)...

if you can lay down next time that might be better for you. If that's not a option, then try holding your dh's hand, and closing your eyes and put yourself where ever your most favorite place to be is. imagery can help quite a lot. It worked for me when I had to have a shoulder MRI...

• opal10161973
    January 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I find that by not watching, it's better for me---and I'm a nurse.  I am a wimp.  LOL

• Rust.n.Gears
    January 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I always pass out when blood is drawn. No clue why but I warn them and now my doctors office is ready for it. They have juice and cookies ready before they start and I leave time to recover. Plus I always go to the office with someone so they can drive home. 

• Mommynwife26
    January 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Could you be anemic? I'm anemic and get light headed n dizzy when I get blood drawn.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts