hootowl21
I think a name has finally been decided. I need some advice in what to do about last name though.
January 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
So I picked Lucy for her first name. The baby's father wants a vietnamese middle name. So someone else said An Mai sounded pretty. It's pronounced ahhn my. An means peace an Mai means golden/apricot blossom. Both pretty meanings I think.

It has been a struggle to come up with a name I could actually pronounce and that I liked.

My last name is Yandell and the fathers last name is Vu. He wants the baby to have his last name and I think she should have mine since we aren't even together. I said I'd consider hyphenating but that's give her a long legal name.

Lucy An Mai Yandell-Vu

Can she just go by Lucy Yandell but still have vu on the birth certificate?

Also the father suggested dropping An and just using Lucy Mai. Which would be ok but Mai is pronounced my so "Lucy my" sounds weird...or no?

Ahhhh help. Lol.

Replies

• inspain
    by inspain
    January 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Put her full name on everything, it's really lovely.

• hootowl21
    January 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    Not too long?

Quoting inspain:

Put her full name on everything, it's really lovely.

• waffa
    by waffa
    January 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Lucy An Mai sounds really pretty but the hyphenated last name is a bit too much of a mouthfull for most people.

my philosophy is that I have names in mind, but have to meet my child before I decide. My 1st was either gonna be Brandon or Sterling, and 2nd Melissa or Emma. they ended up Bandon and Melissa.

Quoting hootowl21:

So I picked Lucy for her first name. The baby's father wants a vietnamese middle name. So someone else said An Mai sounded pretty. It's pronounced ahhn my. An means peace an Mai means golden/apricot blossom. Both pretty meanings I think.

It has been a struggle to come up with a name I could actually pronounce and that I liked.

My last name is Yandell and the fathers last name is Vu. He wants the baby to have his last name and I think she should have mine since we aren't even together. I said I'd consider hyphenating but that's give her a long legal name.

Lucy An Mai Yandell-Vu

Can she just go by Lucy Yandell but still have vu on the birth certificate?

Also the father suggested dropping An and just using Lucy Mai. Which would be ok but Mai is pronounced my so "Lucy my" sounds weird...or no?

Ahhhh help. Lol.

• Ilaynasmommy
    January 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    I think Lucy an is pretty. As far as last name is concerned I'm a firm believer if dad is in the picture baby should have his last name.
  • TableforSeven
    January 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I'd keep the An but only give her your last name.  The only people I have ever known who were unmarried and gave the child the father's last name were engaged and getting married shortly after the birth.

• hootowl21
    January 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    My DD has her dads last name. We weren't married and didn't plan on getting married. My DS has my last name because his dad first said he didn't want to be around but later changed his mind. I'm almost certain I'm just going to use my last name with Lucy too.

Quoting TableforSeven:

I'd keep the An but only give her your last name.  The only people I have ever known who were unmarried and gave the child the father's last name were engaged and getting married shortly after the birth.

• JaneMarie80
    January 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I love the first and middle names, but I would give her only your last name.

• TableforSeven
    January 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Well, if this situation is like the one with your first child who has her father's name....I would say this baby should also have her father's name.  Sounds like you've already made that type of choice long ago.

Quoting hootowl21:

My DD has her dads last name. We weren't married and didn't plan on getting married. My DS has my last name because his dad first said he didn't want to be around but later changed his mind. I'm almost certain I'm just going to use my last name with Lucy too.

Quoting TableforSeven:

• hootowl21
    January 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    Nope situations a very different. With first DD I was with her dad a year before we got pregnant. And we stayed in a relationship. With this baby the dad and I started out as just a hook up. When we had only known Each other a month before I got pregnant. Then for awhile he was kinda involved. Back in the first of December he said I should have just aborted and he thinks his life is ruined. Then last week he text me asking about the baby. Now saying he wants her to have his last name.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Well, if this situation is like the one with your first child who has her father's name....I would say this baby should also have her father's name.  Sounds like you've already made that type of choice long ago.

Quoting hootowl21:

Quoting TableforSeven:

• TableforSeven
    January 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM

If he has made such awful comments in the past....why are you even going out of your way to give her a middle name that he wants?  Go with your instincts, this is your child.  If the guys in-and-out, then assume he will be out for most of her life and give her your last name only.

Quoting hootowl21:

Nope situations a very different. With first DD I was with her dad a year before we got pregnant. And we stayed in a relationship. With this baby the dad and I started out as just a hook up. When we had only known Each other a month before I got pregnant. Then for awhile he was kinda involved. Back in the first of December he said I should have just aborted and he thinks his life is ruined. Then last week he text me asking about the baby. Now saying he wants her to have his last name.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting hootowl21:

Quoting TableforSeven: