Junebaby18
Why does my dog do this?
January 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Every time my dog goes in to get groomed, he comes back looking nice, but he does something weird. He runs from one place to the next, and sits down really quickly. Then a little bit later, he runs to the next place across the room, and sits down quickly. I have heard that they get their anal glands emptied when they get groomed. Do you think that is why he is doing the sitting like he is? He also rubs his but on the floor a little when he sits. He is a Shih tzu and will be 5 years old next month.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

hmmm not sure

• ktwister
    January 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Sounds like it's anal gland related.  They not be fully emptying them or doing it wrong.

• Junebaby18
    January 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Bump
  • WebCat
    by WebCat
    January 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM

It's probably the anal gland. You usually have to pay extra to have them take care of this. 

Quoting ktwister:

Sounds like it's anal gland related.  They not be fully emptying them or doing it wrong.

• Chasesmum3109
    January 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    This, my dogs do this a lot and I notice they sometimes cut it also); it must hurt and itch.

Quoting ktwister:

• Kayla2013
    January 19, 2013 at 4:57 AM
    It's likely due to the cleaning or shaving of their privates. It's like razor burn. I have 4 that do that when they get groomed. 2 shih-apsos 1 shih-tzu and 1 lhasa apso
  • tambrathegreat
    January 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I am a groomer and I can almost guarantee that it's because of the hygenic clip he's getting. 

As for his anus getting nicked, sometimes it does happen when a dog is fighting and won't let the groomer get the clippers situated correctly for the cut.  If it continues to be a problem, ask about it.  There might be things you can do to train him not to wiggle.  If it's razor burn, then get some mild lotion or neosporin and put it on the affected area, that should help clear up the irritation.

• ninipanini
    January 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM

i don't know much about small dogs and their anal glands, but he sounds anxious

maybe it just takes him awhile to calm himself down from the excitement

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    January 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Or he could be renewing his doggy scent in your house-since he smells different to himself-he wants to remark his terratory-and he kow he isn't allowed to pee!

A vet said to me once-dogs scoot (rub their butt on the floor) for a lot of reasons-sometimes just because it's itchy and they don't have hands!

• momofsunshine77
    January 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM

probanly anal glands.  As long as hey are extracting them correctly and they are not getting impacted/infected.