julienichel
"its selfish arrogant moms like you that die having kids"
January 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

yea, that was actually said to me, i intend to have a homebirth we are less than 10 minutes (timed 8 mins with traffic at 5ish pm) and when i told someone this that was her reply, she said she has never heard of homebirth, so obviously she is uneducated on the subject, but then she went on to tell me that bc i didnt want to have an epidural like a "normal" person it was likely i would die and leave my child an orphan!!! I understand, there are people that dont support homebirth, i know that there are midwifes that have no right delivering babies, just like there are doctors that arent good at what they do, and i completely understand that most moms want to have hospital births, where things can be monitored and they can have meds, and i would never judge anyone for that, you need to be where you are going to feel safe to have a baby, that is what i feel is best for every mom!! Has anyone else had such hateful and rude responses to homebirth?!?! I was shocked by this!

Replies

• LCWAmommy
    January 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Wow! I had 5 kids with no epidural. An epidural is for the mothers comfert not her survival.
  • JJJMommyKris
    January 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    Who said this to you? What a fool!
  • julienichel
    January 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

my ex husbands (who im on really good terms with and talk to regularly) step mother, she has 2 adopted kids... none that she has given birth to.....

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

Who said this to you? What a fool!

• MommaGreenhalge
    January 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Wow. No, it's women like you who make a stand for what you feel it right for your family and help make a difference in the birth choices women have in this country. Go you! What a nasty person to say that to you!
  • Armymom134
    January 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Whoever that was, was a complete idiot. Why would she assume because you don't have a epidural that something would go wrong in the birthing process? Wow...just wow. 

• SilverOcean84
    January 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Personally Im too scared to do a home birth but I did deliver 2 healthy girls without an epidural and plan to do so with baby number 3 due in April. I say for those who choose a home birth more power to them. A home birth doesnt always mean unaccompanied and thats what most think. I cant believe someone would say such a thing to you. Its great that you have a back up plan and live close to medical care. Good luck and hope for a happy and safe delivery.

• julienichel
    January 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    I don't know!! I guess it is her assumption that if u go to a hospital u get an epidural. with my first 2 I didn't have drugs at all and was in the hospital. she give me hell for that too, I have heard people disagree with homebirth and that's fine but this was a whole new level!!!

Quoting Armymom134:

Whoever that was, was a complete idiot. Why would she assume because you don't have a epidural that something would go wrong in the birthing process? Wow...just wow. 

• Nikki286
    January 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I don't do well with pain so I would go to the hosptial but thats just me. Homebirths are better for some people and more power to you for doing it all natural or whatever. Your life your choice . As long as your happy and everythings turns out well then who cares what those hypercritical asses think?

• eema.gray
    January 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Good for you doing a timing run during a heavy traffic period.  :-)  That's something people sometimes forget in their contingency planning!

• gr8d8n3mom
    January 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Yes, that person is uneducated at home births. If you feel comfortable with your choice, and whom you have with you, that is all that counts.

I had 2 children with no epidural either time & no pain medication.(I deal with pain differently than most??) Tho I was in a hosp. The dr's told me I probably wouldn't  be able to have any children.