The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
silverdawn99
healthy lunch ideas?
January 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

i am starting a new weight loss thing (eating better, the Y and such)

i need cheap healthy lunch ideas

my children usually eat pb &j, pretzels, chicken nuggets and stuff for lunch (normal kid stuff)

i dont usually eat lunch but if i do its what they have

i need some healthy meal ideas that are cheap and yummy (we already use wheat bread for sandwhiches)

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Oh hunny there are tons of things.  You can make yourself and the children baked chicken tenders with steamed veggies dressed in a marinade.  Soup is another healthy thing and good for winter time.  Various salads with fresh greens and a cooked protien on top.

• frndlyfn
    January 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Chicken Panini

Photo: Hector Sanchez

Ingredients

Serves:  Prep:  5min |Cook: 5min |Total: 10min 

Directions

Heat lightly oiled grill or panini press to medium heat (or use a grill pan).
    Divide cheese, ham, and chicken evenly among rolls, starting and ending with cheese.
    Close sandwiches and grill, flipping and pressing them with spatula if necessary, until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes total.
    Halve sandwiches and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.

Nutritional Facts per serving

CALORIES291.9 CAL

FAT5.8 G

SATURATED FAT2.1 G

CHOLESTEROL42.4 MG

SODIUM896.6 MG

CARBOHYDRATES34.2 G

TOTAL SUGARS7.4 G

DIETARY FIBER4.8 G

PROTEIN27 G
  • frndlyfn
    January 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

The New Chicken Sandwich: Grilled Chicken and Pineapple

Looking for a not-so-ordinary chicken recipe? Try this sweet-and-spicy Hawaiian take on a lunchtime classic

PHOTOGRAPHY BY PLAMEN PETKOV

What You'll Need:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 to 6 oz each)
    4 pineapple slices (1/2-inch thick)
    1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, or 1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
    Teriyaki sauce
    4 slices Swiss cheese
    4 whole-wheat kaiser rolls
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced 

How to make it:
    1 Combine chicken and enough teriyaki sauce to cover it in a resealable plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours. 

2 Heat a grill until hot (you shouldn't be able to hold your hand above the grates for more than 5 seconds). Remove chicken from marinade and place on the grill; discard any remaining marinade. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, flip, and immediately add cheese to each breast. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and chicken is lightly charred and firm to the touch. Remove from grill; set aside. 

3 While chicken rests, add pineapple and rolls to the grill. Cook rolls until they're lightly toasted, and pineapple slices until they're soft and caramelized, about 2 minutes per side. Top each roll with chicken, pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno slices. If you like, drizzle chicken with a bit more teriyaki sauce. 

Makes 4 servings.
    Per serving: 387 cal, 13 g fat, 29 g carbs, 703 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 36 g protein

• Arwyn724
    January 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I eat 6 meals a day, every 2 1/2 hours.  7:30 am breakfast, 10 am snack, 12:30pm lunch, 3 pm snack, 5:30 pm dinner, 8:00 pm snack. Every meal has 2 oz. skinless chicken. Breakfast, am snack and pm snack has a fruit, also.  Lunch & dinner has a grain and veggies.  Raw salad veggies are unlimited and available all day.  I've lost 60 lbs in the last year eating like this.  I drink water all day long, and frankly, it is a chore to eat this much.  I'm never hungry, and my metabolism never stops.

• LntLckrsCmQut
    January 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

My husband and I just had a pretty big salad with tomato, avocado slices, cucumber, red onion, radishes, real black olives, a sprinkle of parmesan, slivered raw almonds and a home made balsamic vinaigrette.

We also had a fruit smoothie made with freshly squeezed oj and frozen berries.

• Cafe Robin
    January 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I usually have a big salad with grilled chicken and lots of veggies.

• JavaLadybug2
    January 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Quoting Cafe Robin:

WHOO HOOO.. Never actually seen a Robin post.. 

• silverdawn99
    January 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

thank you :D
    i love raw veggies and salads and they will be easy and cheap to make

any other healthy ideas?

Quoting Cafe Robin:

• coolmommy2x
    January 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    If you use light mayo and not much, make tuna fish. That can either be on a sandwich or a salad. Hummus with veggies is good. Grilled veggies.
  • silverdawn99
    January 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

:D like tuan. using light mayo shouldnt be a problem

Quoting coolmommy2x:

If you use light mayo and not much, make tuna fish. That can either be on a sandwich or a salad. Hummus with veggies is good. Grilled veggies.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN