CamMa
Healthy drinks, besides water, for a toddler...
by CamMa
January 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
My son doesn't like water. He'll drink a little from my cups here and there, but out of his own cups, that's a no-go. I've even tried just giving him water and nothing else, thinking if he got thirsty enough, he'd drink it. Nope. After 2 days, about 8 sips of water and about 3 barely wet diapers, I caved and gave him his diluted Gatorade. lol, I water down ALL of his juice. He mostly drinks Gatorade and water. A couple times a month, I give him about 2 oz of apple juice, super diluted, but that gives him the runs. I really wanna break him of this no-water stuff because that's mostly all we drink around here and I know juices aren't great for him all the time. Help me, please!!

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    January 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

My kids get water, milk or organic juice.  In the summer time I make homemade lemonade and iced tea.  Other than that they really don't get anything else.

• poietes
    by poietes
    January 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    Not really the best option but you can get those packets like crystal light and put just enough in to flavor the water. We can make one of those packets last up to 3 to 5 glasses of water.
  • poietes
    by poietes
    January 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Also my 2 youngest love almond milk.
  • CamMa
    by CamMa
    January 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    He's only 22 mos. can I give that to him? The fake sweeteners make me nervous. I don't even drink them. Lol
    I've even tried lessening the Gatorade and putting more water, but he knows and won't drink it when it gets below a couple oz.

Quoting poietes:

Not really the best option but you can get those packets like crystal light and put just enough in to flavor the water. We can make one of those packets last up to 3 to 5 glasses of water.
  • CamMa
    by CamMa
    January 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Thank you! He used to like the vanilla one. I'll try that again.

Quoting poietes:

Also my 2 youngest love almond milk.
  • mommytobe921
    January 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    We do almond milk...soy milk...flavored water
  • tairakittie
    January 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

This, I also make them herbal tea's and sweeten with raw honey. But my son is an Ovaltine freak, he will drink regular milk, but prefers chocolate milk. For milks, I offer cows, hemp (when we can afford it) and coconut.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids get water, milk or organic juice.  In the summer time I make homemade lemonade and iced tea.  Other than that they really don't get anything else.

• jhslove
    by jhslove
    January 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Have you asked the pediatrician for advice? I'm not really much help--my daughter (15 months) drinks water and milk only. But maybe the pedi can recommend something.

• poietes
    by poietes
    Yeah, thats why I said its really not the best option but I figured its better than dehydration. But if he didnt like the watered down gatorade the amount Im thinking wont satisfy him.

Quoting CamMa:

He's only 22 mos. can I give that to him? The fake sweeteners make me nervous. I don't even drink them. Lol

I've even tried lessening the Gatorade and putting more water, but he knows and won't drink it when it gets below a couple oz.

Quoting poietes:

• Love.My.Soldier
    They have the crystal light pure now that doesn't have artificial sugars. Maybe try that?