The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Featured Posts
babyspots17
4.5 year age gap sharing a room?
January 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I am trying to figure out which of my kids should share a room would like some opinions please. My oldest is a 6.5 yr old boy middle is 3.5 yr old girl and youngest is soon to be 2 yr Old boy. Would you put the boys together because they''re boys even though they are 4.5 yrs apart in age or the two youngest boy/ girl because their closer in age? The 6 yr old right now has his own room and my dd kind of has a room although she and my 2 yr old mostly sleep in my room. I would really like to soon get them in there own rooms but can't really decide what makes to most sense! If you think boy/ girl together at what age do you think they need rooms of their own?

Replies

• strictmomhere
    January 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    Boys should share a room
  • GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    January 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I am going to make a rather different suggestion definitely different than you offered as choices. I would go with a sleeping area for all three, kind of a dorm and then section off the other room to give them each a private area. This can be done with furniture using shelves as semi-walls so that they each have some private space as it were. This won't work for the long term but probably would for the next three years or so. It also provides for the reality of different sleep schedules and their influence on the use of space. With a common sleeping room their other activities would be elsewhere and so not bothersome to a little one napping or the necessary bedtime for school age children. It would also provide more flexibility for space usage since the common but segmented space could be reallocated as necessary and for instance taken over for a sleepover for one of the children.

• I.LOVE.ACE
    January 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    I conpleately agree with GaleJ...... Have them all share a room for sleeping and the other for toys, activities, ect. Like a bed room and a play room.
  • only7ofus
    January 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    I would have they boys share a room. 4.5 is not that big of an age difference. In my house my 8 year old son gets his own room while my 10 year old daughter shares with her 21 month old sister. So far no big complaints. Good luck.

The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts